Re-organizing DITA Content

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
patjporter

Re-organizing DITA Content

Post by patjporter »

Hello,

Let's suppose I have a flat file structure, but wanted to re-organize my content into folders based on category. Is there a way to move files into a folder structure and have references update automatically (topicrefs, xrefs, conrefs, etc.). Example: a reference might change from href="file.dita" to href="../folder/file.dita"?

Thanks!
Pat
chrispitude

Re: Re-organizing DITA Content

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Pat,

The Main Files feature in Oxygen does exactly what you're asking for:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... files.html

First, enable the feature and add your ditamap files/folders to the Main Files list. Then, whenever you move or rename files/folders in the Project view, Oxygen will automatically update reference paths in your content files to reflect the change.

The nice thing about Main Files is that Oxygen follows all the references to figure everything out. So simply by adding a ditamap to the list (or a folder containing the ditamap), Oxygen will analyze all the topics/submaps/images/etc. used by that ditamap. And if you are using DITA-OT project files, then simply adding your project file is enough for all the ditamaps in the DITA-OT project file to be considered.

Note that only file operations in the Project view are considered; file operations in your desktop file manager outside Oxygen cannot be detected.

- Chris
patjporter

Post by patjporter »

Thank you for this answer! The link you provided is a dead link. Can you please update the link?
Thanks!!
Pat
adrian

Post by adrian »

I have fixed the link. It was missing the "l" from ".html".
Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Adrian - thanks for fixing my link!

Pat - I suggest using the most recent Oxygen version you can, as there have been runtime improvements for Main Files link-fixing in recent releases.