Differences in PDF Output Between 20.1 and 21.0

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
carlisaac

Differences in PDF Output Between 20.1 and 21.0

Post by carlisaac »

I recently worked on a project in Oxygen Editor 20.1. We used the DITA Map to PDF transformation based on HTML and CSS, and defined a number of custom CSS files.

I'm now working in Oxygen Author 21.0 with exactly the same files and a trial license, but I'm encountering a problem with the TOC and front/back matter. In the transform based on Oxygen 20.1, the output is as expected - the front matter appears before the TOC, and the front and back matter are both excluded from the TOC. However, in 21.0, both front and back matter are included on the TOC and have separate pages. So I'm left with:

Contents
<page break>
TOC with front matter topics
<page break>
TOC of main document
<page break>
TOC of back matter topics

In the release info for 21.0, I can't see anything that indicates the changed behavior is down to a fix. I'm left wondering whether this is because I'm using a trial?

If anyone has any thoughts about this, I'd be glad to hear them. As I said, I'm using *exactly* the same files as before.

Many thanks,
Carl
Dan

Re: Differences in PDF Output Between 20.1 and 21.0

Post by Dan »

Hello Carl,

Starting with version 21.0 the DITA publishing respects the DITA specification for the bookmaps. A bookmap will have the frontmatter and backmatter shown in the table of contents, bookmarks tree, etc..

To avoid the frontmatter and backmatter topics being listed in the TOC, you need to set the attribute toc="no" on the topicrefereces.

Let us know if this works as expected.

The additional page breaks are possibly caused by some custom CSS rules, I cannot reproduce them with our standard DITA samples.

Many regards,
Dan
carlisaac

Re: Differences in PDF Output Between 20.1 and 21.0

Post by carlisaac »

Hi Dan,

Thanks very much for your help (again!). I added @toc to the <frontmatter> and <backmatter> elements and it worked just fine. I also managed to identify the cause of the page breaks - as you said, it was due to a custom CSS file.

All the best,
Carl.