Oxygen on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
junber

Oxygen on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

Post by junber »

Has anyone been able to get oxygen running under Tiger?

I've had no luck. Regardless of whether I try to start it using oxygenMac.sh or by double-clicking oxygen.app the result is the same: a process starts but no gui ever appears (even after waiting for several minutes).

I've had no problems on earlier versions of Mac Os X, so this does seem to be a Tiger specific thing. Any advice would be much appreciated!!
winnall

Post by winnall »

I had the same problem, but it went away when I reinstalled Oxygen (i.e. deleted the existing directory and copied the new one from the tgz file I had downloaded).

Steve
junber

Post by junber »

Hi Steve,

Well I'm operating on a clean tiger install so there was no pre-existing directory to have problems with. Just as a sanity check, I deleted my current oxygen directory anyway and then re-downloaded and re-unpacked the tgz. This makes no difference, gui still won't appear.

One point of curiosity is that, when unpacking the oxygen.tar.gz everything proceeds normally, but then on the very last line tar complains that there is "A lone block at 66383" or something like that, which suggests there may be a corruption in the archive. Re-downloading it (I even tried on a separate machine running windows) does not make this tar message go away.

Does your version of the oxygen tgz file-compare identical with what can be downloaded off the oxygenxml site currently?

Lee.
winnall

Post by winnall »

Hi Lee

I downloaded the tgz again and compared it with what I had using "ls -l" and "cksum" and they appear to be identical.

I used Stuffit Expander 9.0.1 to unpack the tgz (just double-clicked on the tgz itself in good old Mac fashion).

So I tried it the Unix way ("tar xzf oxygen.tar.gz" - Mac tar appears to be gnutar) to see what happens. Lo and behold: "tar: A lone zero block at 66363". It seems to be a feature :roll: I know there are sometimes issues with Stuffit, tar and gnutar, so this must be one of those.

So I'd recommend using Stuffit Expander.

Cheers
Steve
wmwedel

Post by wmwedel »

FWIW. I did a clean install of Tiger. I installed oXygen 5.1 from the same tgz archive from which I had installed it on Panther. I used the Tiger default archiver and installer and all went well.

Aside from the speller problem reported elsewhere, the application works fine.
junber

Post by junber »

After further investigation I found that no java app works for me so it isn't an oxygen specific issue. I tried installing java 1.5 but that didn't fix anything either.

Something must have gone wrong with my Tiger install. I'm going to re-install from scratch tonight.

Thanks for everyones responses.