Hard disk grinding continuously on Mac OS X

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
mmarsella

Hard disk grinding continuously on Mac OS X

Post by mmarsella »

I have noticed that when Oxygen is running, the hard disk of my Powerbook keeps grinding continously. This happens systematically whenever Oxygen is running and stops immediately when I quit it.

Oxygen 5.0, Mac OS X 10.3.6, Powerbook 1.25GHz G4

Any other having the same issue ?
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

It is possible that your computer does not have enough memory and enters in swap.

By default oXygen is set on Mac to start with 32M of RAM and to use a maximum of 180M. You can eventually adjust these values if you esit the Info.plist file located inside the oxygen.app in the Contents folder. The entry to look for is:

<key>VMOptions</key>
<string>-Xms32M -Xmx180M</string>

Best Regards,
George
m.marsella

Post by m.marsella »

I do not think swapping is an issue here. I have 1Gb and even setting the JVM RAM to 300Mb I get the noise, also with a new project (i.e. no documents).

It seems to me more related to some polling that Oxygen may be doing on some directories ?

Thank you for the reply, though
tavy

Post by tavy »

Hi,

We tried to reproducce the behavior here but we were not able to do so. We used an aplication (Activity Monitor) that monitors the disk activity for test and there was no disk activity. You can find this application in Applications->Utilities directory. Please try to see if it reports disk activity in your case.

Let us know how is going.

Best Regards,
Octavian