Copy and paste of topics in map is inserting read-only references only visible after the map is saved and re-opened

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
aschultz227

Copy and paste of topics in map is inserting read-only references only visible after the map is saved and re-opened

Post by aschultz227 »

Recently I opened a map in which I wanted to move around some topicrefs. The easiest way was to eitehr copy/paste or cut/paste, since I was moving groups of topics that went together, and in some cases creating additional instances.

Unhappily I discovered that everything looked great...until I checked in and re-opened the map. The node icon for all of my pasted topics is now a read-only reference to the copied topic (see attached image). I'm unable to delete these pasted instances either, so the only way to revert the changes is to go to the file history and roll-back my changes.
Node.png
Node.png (560 Bytes) Viewed 435 times
Please help! It is painstakingly slow to one-by-one insert all the new topicrefs I need.
Radu

Re: Copy and paste of topics in map is inserting read-only references only visible after the map is saved and re-opened

Post by Radu »

Hi,
I'm afraid I do not precisely understand what you did, maybe you could give me a small example with precise steps. Also the attached screenshot is very small and does not give me enough context either.
Usually when working inside a DITA map in the Oxygen only topicrefs inside a referenced DITA submap are marked as read-only. Is it possible you copied an entire DITA Map reference from one part of the main DITA Map to another?
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
aschultz227

Re: Copy and paste of topics in map is inserting read-only references only visible after the map is saved and re-opened

Post by aschultz227 »

Radu - Please see very precise duplication steps and screen shots below. Note that I could not provide a screen shot for every single step, because this page only let me attach 5 images.

This is a process I have followed numerous times over the past 6 years, and not encountered this issue until recently (I noticed it last week).

Using <oXygen/> XML Author 24.1, build 2022110312.
1. Create 2 maps.
2. Add topicrefs to one of the maps, save it, and check it in.
image.png
image.png (64.99 KiB) Viewed 389 times
3. Re-open Test Map 1, select the two topics in Test Map 1, right-click, and select Copy.
image.png
image.png (39.05 KiB) Viewed 389 times
4. Right-click in Test Map 2, and select Paste.

The copied topics appear.
image.png
image.png (23.56 KiB) Viewed 389 times
5. Save Test Map 2, and check it in.

6. Re-open Test Map 2. The topics are now read-only.
image.png
image.png (66.81 KiB) Viewed 389 times
7. Right-click a topic, and there is no option to delete it.
image.png
image.png (119.18 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,
Thanks for the details!
Looking at the screenshots you sent, it seems you are not using Oxygen with resources from the local disk, that you have some kind of CMS integration plugin installed in Oxygen and that you are checking in and out resources from a remote CMS, is this correct? Such information is useful to disclose from the beginning because a CMS integration plugin once installed in Oxygen may alter Oxygen's functionality and behavior. For example if you were to use Oxygen with DITA Maps from your local disk, it would not produce that same bug/behavior after copy pasting. Looking at the screenshot with the tool tip "Read-only content of the referenced map", Oxygen does not issue such a message, I suspect the CMS integration plugin you installed in Oxygen shows this tooltip and also is the one which prohibits you to delete those copied topic references.
I would suggest you start a ticket on the CMS content management system's support channels about this problem and if they need our input to resolve the problem in their plugin, they can contact us and we can help them further.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com