PDF generation with images

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
raluca

PDF generation with images

Post by raluca »

Hello,

I am currently using oXygen 8.1 version. I have written a .dbk file and a custom stylesheet and I want to generate a pdf file. The only problem is that my pdf file output is huge, over 1Mb. If a take out the images there is no problem, the pdf is around 180K. I have checked the size of the images, they are less then 1k each, about 20 pieces.

I have tried to generate the same file, with images and the same stylesheet on 7.2 version, on another machine and it works fine, about 185M. I have imported the preferences but there is no change. Could you give me a hint why this happens?

Thanks.
sorin_ristache

Re: PDF generation with images

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
raluca wrote:The only problem is that my pdf file output is huge, over 1Mb. If a take out the images there is no problem, the pdf is around 180K.
I have tried to generate the same file, with images and the same stylesheet on 7.2 version, on another machine and it works fine, about 185M.
There is no limitation on the size of the PDF output of the transformation. What do you mean by huge PDF file generated with oXygen 8.1? You say that with oXygen 7.2 the output was 185 MB and it was generated correctly. Do you get an error message in oXygen 8.1? You can enable FOP output to see if there are errors when the PDF file is generated.

Regards,
Sorin
raluca

Post by raluca »

The pdf looks just fine on 8.1 also, the problem is its size: over 1Mb. I have the same FOP 0.92beta on both machines. I am not getting any error messages, just some minor warnings which are the same cause they use the same FOP.

Today I have tried to install FOP 0.94 version with Oxygen 8.1 but a get the following error when starting a transformation with it:

SEVERE: Exception
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: -1, Size: 0

I did not manage to fix it yet. I guess that FOP 0.92beta had a problem with image caching and that's what happens.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

raluca wrote:The pdf looks just fine on 8.1 also ... I guess that FOP 0.92beta had a problem with image caching and that's what happens.
Did you set up FOP 0.92 as an external FO processor in oXygen? oXygen 8.1 comes with the last update of the old FOP codebase, that is FOP 0.20.5 and oXygen 8.2 comes with the first stable update of the new codebase after the major FOP redesign, that is FOP 0.93. Version 0.92 was not stable and it was not recommended for production transformations. I suggest you to try FOP 0.93 which is the built-in FO processor in oXygen 8.2 or FOP 0.94 which is the built-in FO processor of oXygen 9.0 beta.

Regards,
Sorin
raluca

Post by raluca »

Thanks for the advice, I have set up FOP 0.94 as an external processor in Oxygen 8.1 and I managed to solve the problem, it work ok with the default stylesheet, the custom one seams to have problems because it causes that exception from FOP.