schemaDocumentation.bat - processing included schemas?

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
lyteck

schemaDocumentation.bat - processing included schemas?

Post by lyteck »

Hello:

I am using schemaDocumentation.bat to generate documentation for a modular schema (a main schema including other subschemas). Is there a parameter I can set from the command line (e.g., in schemaDocumentation.bat) to specify that documentation for included/imported schemas should be generated as well?

In oXygen 8.2 user interface (Tools>Generate Documentation>Schema Documentation...), the option to include subschemas is available by setting the following flags:
- search included schemas
- search imported schemas
- generate documentation also for included and imported schemas

Can these be set in the command line as well? It doesn't look that way

I'd be most grateful for your insights.

Thanks,

Lyteck Lynhiavu
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

In oXygen 8.2 generating the documentation also for included and imported schemas with the schemaDocumentation.bat script is not possible. We added this feature to the script for the next version of oXygen. Please contact us and we will send you the modified schemaDocumentation.bat.

Regards,
Sorin
lyteck

Post by lyteck »

Thanks for the fast response Sorin. I have put the request for an updated schemaDocumentation.bat with tech support.

Best, Lyteck
lyteck

Post by lyteck »

Thank you Sorin.

I have been playing with the updated schemaDocumentation script you sent and have a couple of related observations. It helps me understand how the script works if I write them down - and please correct me if I am wrong.

- Observation # 1: It appears (and you also mention in your email) I have to run schemaDocumentation.bat for each included XSD (i.e., in other words, the script cannot automatically recurse through the "main" XSD)
- Observation # 2: The purpose of the links.xml file is simply to generate an html hyperlink for the current XSD to HTML for included/imported XSD. However, the HTML for included/imported XSD must be generated independently (as per Observation # 1). Otherwise the hyperlink will be broken.
- Observation # 3: When generating the Schema Documentation through the oXygen 8.2 UI, each included/imported XSD can reference the "Master schema documentation file" using a very handy hyperlink located at the bottom of the Table of Contents. That hyperlink is not available when generating each included/imported XSD individually. That behavior makes sense considering HTML for each XSD is generated independently (as per Observation # 1), unbeknownst of interdependencies to a "master file" including/importing that XSD. That said, not being able to browse back to the "master file" limits navigation/sense of context.

- Question # 1: is there a way (from the command line/script) to generate the missing hyperlink to the "Master schema documentation file" in included/imported XSD?
If it can be done, then the schema documentation generated from the command line/script would be equivalent to that generated from the oXygen UI. Is it a limitation I have to live with when using the command line?

Thanks in advance. Best,

Lyteck Lynhiavu
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

The observations are correct. When the documentation is generated from the oXygen UI there is Java code that processes all the XSD files, takes into account the include/import relation and goes from the master schema to the imported/included ones and can include links between them. From command line the documentation must be generated for each XSD file so the links from master XSD to included/imported ones can be correctly generated only based on the links file but the link from imported/included to master schema cannot be generated.

Regards,
Sorin
lyteck

Post by lyteck »

Thanks for the confirmation Sorin.

Is there a fix planned for a future release? That'd be very useful. A lot of companies - including ours- are looking to generate schema documentation automatically - and links forth AND back between related schemas are important.

Best,
Lyteck Lynhiavu
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Your request is already logged in our tracking system but a precise date/version for the implementation was not fixed yet.

Regards,
Sorin
shb

Post by shb »

Hi,

Is it possible to have the modified schemaDocumentation script sent?

Kind regards,
Simon
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Of course, please try the version of the schemaDocumentation script included in the oXygen 9 beta version or contact us and we will send you that version of the script.

Regards,
Sorin