mouse scroll wheel not working

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
tone

mouse scroll wheel not working

Post by tone »

Running Vista Business on a Dell laptop and the mouse scroll wheel does not work. It's a Microsoft mouse with up to date drivers. The touchpad scroll does work however. Any ideas?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Probably you run oXygen with a Java 1.4.2 virtual machine. You can check that in Help -> About -> System properties -> java.vm.version. If you want to scroll with the mouse wheel you have to use a JVM version 1.5 or 1.6.

Regards,
Sorin
tone

Post by tone »

under help-->about-->System Properties java.vm.version is 1.6.0_01-b06
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Does it work with a JVM version 1.5.0? You have to set the JVM in the [oXygen-install-folder]\oxygen.ini file by adding a line

JRE Path=/home/JRE/folder

in the section [Java Runtime Environment].

Regards,
Sorin
tone

Post by tone »

unfortunately, no. I did notice however, that scrolling does work, sort of. I have to scroll the mouse wheel really fast and it'll work - this is not a very effective way of using the scroll wheel. At first I thought the scroll acceleration settings in the control panel were mucking with it so I played around with those settings, and all the others, and still couldn't get it to work correctly.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Does the mouse wheel work better in other applications on the same computer? Does it work better in other Java applications running on the same computer? oXygen does not handle the mouse wheel in a special way so you should get the default handling as in any other Java application.

Regards,
Sorin
tone

Post by tone »

It works fine in all other applications that I use. Not sure which are written in java, but I do use some open source apps like Filezilla, Notepad++, Firefox, etc. with no problems. I have had this microsoft mouse for about 6 months. I'll try another brand mouse and see if it's a compatability issue.
SoreGums

Post by SoreGums »

I just bought a MS Wireless Laser 5000 mouse.

It works in all programs except Eclipse which is Java.
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_01-b06

If i scroll really fast it then scrolls.

So maybe our mice don't work in Java apps properly. I had a Logitech MX1000 & a dell/ms wired and they all work fine. OR maybe the feature of the Intellipoint software of "scroll the window faster when I spin the wheel faster" is getting in the way. I could probably uninstall the software and it'll work. Whatever it is it probably is the MS Intellipoint software....

I found this post via Google
tone

Post by tone »

Well it's good to hear that someone else has the same issue (this confirms that I'm not losing my sanity). I have disabled the intellipoint accelerated scrolling and this did not solve the problem. I have yet to uninstall the intellipoint software, but then again I don't really want to b/c I use the features in all of my other programs.. Maybe I will one day and post back here so that maybe the java virtual machine coders, or oxygen will pick up on it and work on a fix. Or maybe Microsoft should fix it! Either way it's not debilating and I've got more pressing issues. Thanks for posting about your experience.
wsoethe

Post by wsoethe »

I got the same problem but I have MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000.

Works in every program except Eclipse.... :-(