My little gripes with oxygen...

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
dep

My little gripes with oxygen...

Post by dep »

Hello. I'm a web developer by trade... So I'm programming about 8-10 hours a day with oxygen... Doing mainly XML/XSLT, javascript, HTML, CSS, etc.. Using it long enough to definitely learn its idiosyncrasies... but overall, it's quite great.

Perhaps there are some settings that I can tweak to alleviate my gripes, but I don't know of them.. So here they are.

1) Doing inline javascript
This is definitely my biggest gripe. Oxygen doesn't seem to know what i'm doing when I'm inlining javascript.

a) When I copy/paste functions inside a document that is not a JS file (inline), it left-justifies everything when i paste it... then I have to go through my function and tab it back out so it's readable again. Very frustrating for large bits of code.

b) No syntax highlighting on the inline'd javascript code. My last editor did this and it was quite nice. But no such luck here.

2) Other gripes with the indentation
often times, i feel like i'm fighting with Oxygen as far as tabbing out my code goes sometimes... almost to the point where I wish I could just turn off oxygen's "auto tab" functionality (is that even possible?)

wishlist
my biggest wishlist item would be some macros capability... A quick-macros feature would be most excellent... Ctrl-Shift-R would start/stop the recording and then another hotkey would immediately play back the macros... fantastically powerful for quickly accomplishing redundant tasks..

you might be thinking "well, oxygen's more of an XML/XSL editor... not so much HTML, Javascript, etc" -- Well the truth of the matter is, the way technology is moving (AJAX), web authors need to fuse html, css, javascript, xsl, xml all together.. and need an editor that has the flexibility to integrate these with ease.

any tips, feedback are/is appreciated.

dep
dep

Re: My little gripes with oxygen...

Post by dep »

dep wrote:Hello. I'm a web developer by trade... So I'm programming about 8-10 hours a day with oxygen... Doing mainly XML/XSLT, javascript, HTML, CSS, etc.. Using it long enough to definitely learn its idiosyncrasies... but overall, it's quite great.

Perhaps there are some settings that I can tweak to alleviate my gripes, but I don't know of them.. So here they are.

1) Doing inline javascript
This is definitely my biggest gripe. Oxygen doesn't seem to know what i'm doing when I'm inlining javascript.

a) When I copy/paste functions inside a document that is not a JS file (inline), it left-justifies everything when i paste it... then I have to go through my function and tab it back out so it's readable again. Very frustrating for large bits of code.

b) No syntax highlighting on the inline'd javascript code. My last editor did this and it was quite nice. But no such luck here.

2) Other gripes with the indentation
often times, i feel like i'm fighting with Oxygen as far as tabbing out my code goes sometimes... almost to the point where I wish I could just turn off oxygen's "auto tab" functionality (is that even possible?)

However, I should add that when copying a big block of XSL and pasting it in to another block, oxygen is VERY good at tabbing it out correctly. nice job

wishlist
my biggest wishlist item would be some macros capability... A quick-macros feature would be most excellent... Ctrl-Shift-R would start/stop the recording and then another hotkey would immediately play back the macros... fantastically powerful for quickly accomplishing redundant tasks..

you might be thinking "well, oxygen's more of an XML/XSL editor... not so much HTML, Javascript, etc" -- Well the truth of the matter is, the way technology is moving (AJAX), web authors need to fuse html, css, javascript, xsl, xml all together.. and need an editor that has the flexibility to integrate these with ease.

any tips, feedback are/is appreciated.

dep
dep

Post by dep »

Hmm. didn't mean to double post, here...

I wanted to edit my post but clicked 'quote' by mistake. oops.

i wanted to add:

However, I should add that when copying a big block of XSL and pasting it in to another block, oxygen is VERY good at tabbing it out correctly. nice job
dep

Post by dep »

Actually I did just find the "Indent on Paste - Sections with number of lines less than 300" option and that DID alleviate my Javascript copy/paste woes. hooray!
sorin_ristache

Re: My little gripes with oxygen...

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
dep wrote:a) When I copy/paste functions inside a document that is not a JS file (inline), it left-justifies everything when i paste it... then I have to go through my function and tab it back out so it's readable again. Very frustrating for large bits of code.
dep wrote:Actually I did just find the "Indent on Paste - Sections with number of lines less than 300" option and that DID alleviate my Javascript copy/paste woes. hooray!
You discovered the needed option yourself :)
dep wrote:b) No syntax highlighting on the inline'd javascript code. My last editor did this and it was quite nice. But no such luck here.
We noted the request.
dep wrote:often times, i feel like i'm fighting with Oxygen as far as tabbing out my code goes sometimes... almost to the point where I wish I could just turn off oxygen's "auto tab" functionality (is that even possible?)
It is possible: set the tab size to zero spaces in Options -> Preferences -> Editor -> Format -> Indent size.
dep wrote:my biggest wishlist item would be some macros capability... A quick-macros feature would be most excellent... Ctrl-Shift-R would start/stop the recording and then another hotkey would immediately play back the macros... fantastically powerful for quickly accomplishing redundant tasks..
We noted that too.

Regards,
Sorin
dep

Post by dep »

Thanks very much. You guys have been great with your support through these forums. That option that I found did completely alleviate my biggest gripe and has saved me a LOT of grief since then! hoorah! :D

Thanks again for providing such a stellar editor.