locking error message panel?

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Gandalf

locking error message panel?

Post by Gandalf »

I'm pasting a lot of tags into a large document - I paste the open tag, move to the end of section I'm tagging, and type </. I often need to horizontally scroll to get to the end point, so I paste, move to the scroll bar, click, and...

Yes, the error message pops up saying no closing tag and this *moves* the scroll bar so the click misses. Very annoying (I'm doing a few thousand of these). I've extended the pause period in the preferences, but don't want it too long as I need those message for when I make mistakes!

Can the error panel be permanently made visible so the scroll bar doesn't jump up and down? I can't find it in the help :-(

TIA
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Gandalf,

Hmm... no, when there are no errors the errors status disapears - we will discuss the opportunity to make an option to have it always visible.
However oXygen provides support for tagging a selection with the Surround with actions, these add both the start tag and the end tag in the same action. For instance you can select some text and then use the Refactoring -> Surround with tag action from the contextual menu (right click on windows/linux or ctrl click on mac) or trigger that directly with CTRL+E (or with your defined shortcut if you changed the default one). That will present a dialog where you can select or enter the element name that you want to use to tag the selection. Further you can use CTRL+/ to tag another selection with the last element used in a surround with operation. Please give these actions a try and let us know if they are useful for you.

Best Regards,
George
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Thanks George. Those actions are very useful, and I use them, but alas they do not fit the situation I faced. I had a couple of thousand different tags to insert into a book, each one different. I had the opening tags complete with all the attributes, just had to paste, scroll, and type the closing tag.

Keeping the error status always visible would be a good option, like keeping the tab bar always visible that some browsers offer - jumping displays can be visually annoying and in my case frustrating when the clicks missed :-(
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

We will consider adding an user option for keeping the error area always visible.

Regards,
Sorin