Cannot Run Oxygen 7.2 - JRE errors

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
mikeb

Cannot Run Oxygen 7.2 - JRE errors

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

Just bought Oxygen and am keen to use it however I have had no success running it.

I have downloaded "Windows (Includes Java VM)" and installed on my XP system.

First time a run the app I get the following text box message:

Error
JNI exception: failed to create the Java VM
Reson: not enough memory

The second, and subsequent times (within a given boot of XP) the app part starts up - open a window full scree, but only grey, no "sub-windows" - but before it is usable it takes my system up to a constant 100% CPU. The only way out is to terminate the oxygen process.

Please advise solution.

Thanks.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

What is your platform (name and version) and how much RAM memory is installed on your computer ?

If you have at least 1 GB of RAM memory please replace the -Xmx40:32:700P parameter on the line Virtual Machine Parameters of [oXygen-install-folder]/oxygen7.2.ini with -Xmx512m and restart oXygen (if you did not change it during the install process, on Windows [oXygen-install-folder] is C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2).

If you still get the error "not enough memory" use a smaller value instead of 512m, for example 50% of the available RAM memory. If the CPU goes to 100% again please terminate the process, remove the oXygen user preferences directory which is [user-home-folder]\Application Data\com.oxygenxml on Windows computers ([user-home-folder] is usually C:\Documents and Settings\your-login-name). After that start oXygen from the command line, that is open a command line console, change directory to [oXygen-install-folder] and run the command:

oxygen.bat

This will start oXygen from the command line and the license key will be asked again.

If the CPU still goes to 100% we have to test a very simple Java application on your computer with no connection with oXygen to see if there is a more general problem with running a Java virtual machine on your computer: download a Java runtime environment from the Sun Microsystems website, install it on your computer and run a simple Java application with a graphical user interface and see if the CPU goes to 100%. If you do not have a simple Java application just contact us and we will provide such an application.

Regards,
Sorin
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

Thanks for a quick reply.

I’m running windows XP (Tablet edition) version 2002 SP2. I have 1.5gb RAM.

There wasn’t a -Xmx40:32:700P setting in the ini file, but there was -Xmx180M so I changed this to -Xmx512m as suggested. Tried restarting oxygen, but straight to 100% again.

Next I deleted the preferences, switched to a command line and run the oxygen bat. Here’s the cmd line output:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>oxygen.bat

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>rem C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.
2\ is expanded pathname of the current script under NT

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>SET CP="C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Edito
r 7.2\;C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2\/lib/oxygen.jar;C:\Program Files\O
xygen XML Editor 7.2\/classes;"

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>java -Xmx256m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -
cp "C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2\;C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7
.2\/lib/oxygen.jar;C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2\/classes;" ro.sync.exm
l.Oxygen

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>REM Uncomment the following line (and com
ment the above one)

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>REM if using the version with the JRE inc
luded.

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>REM jre\bin\java -Xmx256m -cp ".;lib/oxyg
en.jar;classes;" ro.sync.exml.Oxygen

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>
I entered the licence key, and oxygen started up and initialised all its windows, but then sent the CPU to 100% and stopped responding.

I certainly run other java apps that I’ve played around with in the past, so know the machine is happy to do this. I am happy to run some source you send to me to prove the GUI side of things, I’ve probably only run command line stuff.

Thanks,
sorin_ristache

Re: Cannot Run Oxygen 7.2 - JRE errors

Post by sorin_ristache »

mikeb wrote:I have downloaded "Windows (Includes Java VM)" and installed on my XP system.
mikeb wrote:There wasn’t a -Xmx40:32:700P setting in the ini file, but there was -Xmx180M
Do you mean that the ini file does not contain the -Xmx40:32:700P parameter on the line Virtual Machine Parameters ? Are you sure you edited the file C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2\oxygen7.2.ini and not other ini file located in the same folder ?

Regards,
Sorin
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

Doh! My stupid mistake – I edited the wrong ini. I put the edited one back to original, and edited the oxygen ini as per your instructions. This fixed the first JNI error.

However the straight to 100% problem remains, though Oxygen starts up much quicker.

I run the test java code you sent. Print from awt was fine, and didn’t exhibit any huge CPU load. Swing also worked, but had a noticeable 100% CPU spike.

So, JNI error appears fixed, but Oxygen still runs at an unusable 100% CPU. I was able to close (via X [alt-F4]) oxygen but with some delay before it shut down.

Please advise on what else I might try, we seem to be making progress.

Thanks,
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Here's a further update.

I've tried some additional testing. I've dropped the memory down to 128 (via 256) to see if the was an observable difference, however there was none.

Most bizarre however is that Oxygen works perhaps 1 in 6-12 attempts. Quick initialisation, no high CPU, responsive UI. I’ve not actually tried any productive work in it however. All I do is try to start it, terminate the errant process when it sits at 100%, and try again. Also the apparent speed that it initialises in varies with each attempt. Sometimes I just get a grey screen, others I see it begin to draw windows etc. Sometimes it is easier to terminate than others.

So, it is basically unusable and damaging to my system without a resolution to this rather unusual problem.

Thanks,
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

mikeb wrote:Next I deleted the preferences, switched to a command line and run the oxygen bat. Here’s the cmd line output:
What is the output of the command

java -version
executed from a command line ? Also comment the line

java -Xmx256m ...
in the file C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2\oxygen.bat by adding REM in front of the java command:

REM java -Xmx256m ...
and uncomment the other java command:

REM jre\bin\java -Xmx256m ...
by removing the REM word so that it looks like:

jre\bin\java -Xmx256m ...
Save the file and execute it again with a command

oxygen.bat
from a command line. Does the CPU stay at 100% without coming down ?

Regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

mikeb wrote:Most bizarre however is that Oxygen works perhaps 1 in 6-12 attempts. Quick initialisation, no high CPU, responsive UI. ... Sometimes I just get a grey screen, others I see it begin to draw windows etc. Sometimes it is easier to terminate than others.
This is indeed bizarre but I think it cannot be caused by the Java application executed in the container called Java virtual machine. It does not matter that the Java application is <oXygen/>, the same Java classes executed in the same Java virtual machine cannot produce sometimes only a grey screen, other times some windows, etc. There is something bizarre about your environment, let us try to identify that.

Are you sure it is a Java virtual machine from Sun Microsystems ? I talk about running <oXygen/> before the change to the oxygen.bat which I indicated in my previous post, because that change activates the startup command which runs <oXygen/> in the JVM from Sun included in the distribution kit (jre\bin\java -Xmx256m ...). You can check that in Help -> About -> System properties -> java.vm.vendor.

Regards,
Sorin
Last edited by sorin_ristache on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

Output from java-version:

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>java -version
java version "1.4.2_08"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_08-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_08-b03, mixed mode)

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 7.2>
I made the change to oxygen.bat, and run from the commandline and it worked ok. Stopped and started several times and al seemed ok each time.

Tried the icon (and so exe) and it hangs at 100% again.

Thanks,
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

Having run oxygen.bat (i.e. commandline) I can get into help...about...system.

Here's what it reports for java:

java.runtime.name	Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
java.runtime.version 1.5.0_06-b05
java.specification.name Java Platform API Specification
java.specification.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.specification.version 1.5
java.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vendor.url http://java.sun.com/
java.vendor.url.bug http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
java.version 1.5.0_06
java.vm.info mixed mode, sharing
java.vm.name Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.specification.name Java Virtual Machine Specification
java.vm.specification.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vm.specification.version 1.0
java.vm.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vm.version 1.5.0_06-b05
This may help you spot the config error.

Thanks,
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

mikeb wrote:I made the change to oxygen.bat, and run from the commandline and it worked ok. Stopped and started several times and al seemed ok each time.
So it works with the Java virtual machine from Sun Microsystems bundled in the <oXygen/> install kit.
mikeb wrote:Tried the icon (and so exe) and it hangs at 100% again.
Please use <oXygen/> by starting it from the command line until we debug the exe launcher. Can we contact you again for more tests with a modified exe launcher ?

Regards,
Sorin
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Yep - I can live with the command line launch.

Sure - drop me an email when you would like me to try further tests.

Thanks for your attention and support - very good.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

mikeb wrote:Having run oxygen.bat (i.e. commandline) I can get into help...about...system.

Here's what it reports for java:
sorin wrote:I talk about running <oXygen/> before the change to the oxygen.bat which I indicated in my previous post, because that change activates the startup command which runs <oXygen/> in the JVM from Sun included in the distribution kit (jre\bin\java -Xmx256m ...). You can check that in Help -> About -> System properties -> java.vm.vendor.
You listed the system properties after the change to oxygen.bat, that is the system properties of the JVM bundled in the <oXygen/> install kit. We already know these properties. <oXygen/> works with that JVM so they are not relevant any more. We will probably contact you for more tests.

Thank you,
Sorin
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

In case my email reply went astray here’s an update to this thread.

I tried the new launcher and config changes you sent through, however with no real success – still runs at 100%.

I am using it from via the bat file, however this is not always successful either. It often hangs on shutdown, and seemingly always when printing.

Enjoying the functionality of the product, but need some stability and am only using the bat launcher as a temporary measure.

Is there any further update on a permanent resolution?

Thanks,
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

If you sent your latest email reply on August 31 then we received it. We replied to it two times with a request for another test of a small change to the startup configuration on your machine but we received no response. I repeat the request here: please start oXygen with the oxygen.bat script in which the -Xmx700m param is used in the java command, like the following:

jre\bin\java -Xmx700m -cp ...
The other java command should remain commented out, like this:

REM java -Xmx256m ...

Regards,
Sorin
Last edited by sorin_ristache on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Also try to determine what thread of the Java virtual machine keeps the CPU 100% busy and what DLL keeps that thread busy by inspecting the list of busy threads reported by the Process Explorer application (in the list of all processes double click on the java process which runs oXygen, select the Threads tab and look at the CPU and Start Address columns).

Regards,
Sorin
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Ah,

Your messages had been treated as spam.

Would you edit your earlier post and remove my email domains from it please.

I will take a look at the emails this morning.

Thanks.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

I removed the email domains. Only the domains were posted so there was no possibility to receive spam starting from my post because I did not post the full email address.

Regards,
Sorin
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi, sorry for delay in performing the test you requested.

I've tried the -Xmx700m setting in the ini and start from command promt and as you suspected it seems ok.

Let me know if you need further tests.

Thanks, Mike.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

sorin wrote:Also try to determine what thread of the Java virtual machine keeps the CPU 100% busy and what DLL keeps that thread busy by inspecting the list of busy threads reported by the Process Explorer application (in the list of all processes double click on the java process which runs oXygen, select the Threads tab and look at the CPU and Start Address columns).
Try the above steps (which I asked you in a previous post of this thread but you did not reply to it) after you do the following: close any open files in oXygen (started from a command line using oxygen.bat), close oXygen, change the -Xmx param in the oxygen7.2.ini file to -Xmx128m, restart your computer. The steps which I described in a previous post (to find the thread and the DLL library which keep the CPU at 100% with the help of the Process Explorer application) should be executed when oXygen is started from the Start menu -> Programs -> Oxygen XML Editor 7.2 -> Oxygen XML Editor shortcut. A screenshot of the Threads tab of the Process Explorer application which shows the busy thread would be useful.

Regards,
Sorin
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

For ease I've emailed you the image showing the thread tab.

Having dropped the memory to 128, reboot and then run Oxygen via icon, not bat, the first start does not give the JNI error, does start but hits the 100% mark. A new behaviour is that now each time I restart using this method it initialises ok and does not sit at 100%.

Also note that I am using the original launcher, not the test launcher you sent me. Let me know if I have misunderstood and should be using the test, or trying with both.

I will not get to "play" around with this with various reboots etc until tomorrow I'm afraid, but I will revisit the memory values and try to see if there is any pattern here.

Thanks,[/img]
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Thank you Mike for the screenshot. I think we are on the right track. The original launcher is perfect. No more reboots necessary for now.

Thank you,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Mike,

Please change the value of Single Instance in oxygen7.2.ini to no:

Single Instance=no
reboot and restart oXygen from Start menu. Does it work ?

Regards,
Sorin
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi, sorry for delay in reply - I have been away for a week.

I have tried setting single instace to no (with Xmx128m) however I still get the 100%. This was fter a reboot then oxygen start. I tried it a second time and also hit 100%.

Let me know if you need me to do more tests.

Thanks,
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

Is there any further progress with this problem, additional tests you need me to do?

Thanks.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

We wait an <oXygen/> launcher for debugging from the company that develops the Windows installer used in <oXygen/>. When we will receive it we will send you the launcher.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Did you receive the test launcher which I sent yesterday to your email address ? Did you have the time to replace the installed <oXygen/> 7.2 launcher and test it ?

Regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Mike,

I just sent you two launchers for tests on your Tablet PC. Please let us know if they work correctly.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Mike,

Just an update: one of the debug exe launchers which we sent works correctly, the CPU does not block at 100% any more. Did you have the time to test the debug launcher which did not work also before running other launchers on the same computer, that is to run the debug launcher which did not work after a reboot of your computer but before running other <oXygen/> launcher ? If we know that we can be sure to provide an exe launcher which works correctly on a Tablet PC.

Thanks,
Sorin