Stacking with NotificationsManager

Having trouble deploying Oxygen XML Web Author? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Johann

Stacking with NotificationsManager

Post by Johann »

Hello,

We are using Oxygen Author Web 26.0.

Some of our actions require to notify the user with info / warning / error messages.

We tested NotificationsManager.

In our case, several notifications can sometimes follow one another or arrive simultaneously.

It seems that the display doesn't handle stacking notifications. Only the last notification is displayed.

Is there a desire not to manage the stacking of notifications? Is this part of your roadmap?
What would you recommend to implement it?

Thank you,

Johann
cosminef
Site Admin

Re: Stacking with NotificationsManager

Post by cosminef »

Hello,

Currently, this process is not part of our roadmap.
Can you explain an example that describes this use case, step by step, to help us better understand your needs ?

Best Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Eftenie
www.oxygenxml.com
Johann

Post by Johann »

Hello,

This is an example of notifications to be displayed:

Code: Select all

workspace.getNotificationManager().showInfo("Operation begins");
workspace.getNotificationManager().showInfo("Step 1");
workspace.getNotificationManager().showInfo("Step 2");
workspace.getNotificationManager().showInfo("Step 3");
workspace.getNotificationManager().showInfo("Operation ends");
I'd like each notification to be displayed in the order in which it was called up.
Each notification should remain visible for a few seconds (configurable), then disappear or remain visible until the user closes the notification (useful for error notifications).

In the example above, I'm expecting to see 5 notifications stacked almost simultaneously, which is impossible today.

Stacking example https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.0/compo ... /#stacking

Regards,

Johann
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

Thanks for providing more details. The Web Author notification systems is designed to provide feedback to the user after an editing operation. Showing the progress of an operation was not one of the design goals of the notifications system. For example, even if you show multiple notifications during a long-running operation, they will be sent to the browser only at the end.
There are alternative ways to show the status of a multi-step operation to the user such as wizzard, stepper, status stripes. You can try to use such a component in your plugin or framework. You can see a sample in a plugin here: https://github.com/oxygenxml/web-author ... rm-control .

Best,
Cristian
Johann

Post by Johann »

Hello,
The Web Author notification systems is designed to provide feedback to the user after an editing operation. Showing the progress of an operation was not one of the design goals of the notifications system. For example, even if you show multiple notifications during a long-running operation, they will be sent to the browser only at the end.
Let's not take the example of a multi-step operation, but let's take the example of several operations launched simultaneously.
Let's imagine that each of these operations ends with a "Operation 1 successful" / "Operation 2 successful" / "Operation 3 successful" notification.
If these 3 operations end simultaneously, only 1 of the 3 notifications will be displayed, which is "strange". The user doesn't know whether the other operations have been completed?

From my point of view, user notifications can be multiple, so I find it hard to understand the limitation to a single notification.
There are alternative ways to show the status of a multi-step operation to the user such as wizzard, stepper, status stripes. You can try to use such a component in your plugin or framework. You can see a sample in a plugin here: https://github.com/oxygenxml/web-author ... rm-control .
I've already tested the webappRenderer, but for me it's a display that takes place inside the document.
I'm fine with notifications as they are, apart from the stacking aspect, which I find strange for notifications.

Regards,

Johann