table row profiling is difficult

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
qualler

table row profiling is difficult

Post by qualler »

I help support many authors using oXygen Author. Lately, we've seen some struggles with profiling table rows. And profiling tables in general. Today we had a case where there was profiling on a tbody element. Not exactly sure how that happened, but I'm wondering if there are feature enhancements in the works that make it easier to see profiling on tables in Author mode. We've been advising people to switch to Text mode, but most authors work in Author mode and it'd be better to have enhanced profiling visibility/application within the Author mode. Justin
Radu

Re: table row profiling is difficult

Post by Radu »

Hi Justin,

Indeed when you add DITA profiling attributes to thead or tbody Oxygen does not display any indication of this. I'm not sure what to do about this, I added an internal issue for it. Problem is that if we display some label in place then the table layout would be broken. How would you see those profiling attributes represented?
As a workaround if it's forbidden for your users to add profiling attributes to various DITA elements, maybe you can consider creating a custom Schematron validation rule which reports this as an error/warning or info:

https://blog.oxygenxml.com/2017/02/shar ... rules.html

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
chrispitude

Re: table row profiling is difficult

Post by chrispitude »

We use background colors to indicate profiling attributes, and we do see table rows highlighted as expected when the attributes are applied.

We had some initial difficulty on actually *applying* conditions to table rows, but we shared the following two methods within our team and it helped:
  • Click anywhere in a row, then click on the <row> element in the element ancestry at the top of the editing window, then press Ctrl-Alt-P.
  • Move the pointer just to the left of a row until the pointer turns into a "selected table row" icon, then click to select the row, then press Ctrl-Alt-P.
We have Ctrl-Alt-P configured as a hotkey for the profiling conditions window, which is very handy!