Memory error while editing a file in Oxygen

Oxygen general issues.
damahend

Memory error while editing a file in Oxygen

Post by damahend »

Hello,

I am facing some memory based issues while trying to edit a .xml/.ditamap file.

I have tried as many possibilities, but couldn't able to fix it.

The Popup message states as below

"The application exceeded the available memory: 1333MB. To avoid stability issues please restart the application. If the application has become unstable and cannot be closed normally, you ca use the Force Quit button from this dialog"
And the error message continues as a big passage.

Anybody aware of this issue, please let me know how to fix it.

Thanks,
Dasaratharajkumar M
Costin

Re: Memory error while editing a file in Oxygen

Post by Costin »

Hi Dasaratharajkumar,

What oXygen product type and version are you using and on what operating system?

Are you working with large files? Larger than 30MB?
If this happens frequently, you could avoid this problem by increasing the memory available to Oxygen.

Below are the instructions for oXygen XML Editor v18.1.

To increase the allocated memory on Windows or Linux based machines, you should modify the -Xmx parameter in the 'oxygen18.1.vmoptions' file from the Oxygen installation folder.
For Windows 7 or later, you will first have to copy the 'oxygen18.1.vmoptions' file to your Desktop (or another folder with write access), modify it there and then copy it back to the Oxygen installation folder replacing the original file.

Modify it to -Xmx2048m or a larger value like -Xmx4096m (in case you have a 64-bit operating system and sufficient installed RAM memory). Make sure you don't exceed your existing physical RAM size.
Restart the application and verify the amount of memory that is actually available to Oxygen in Help -> About, JVM Memory Used/Total(last row).
If the application no longer starts and the error message says that it could not start the JVM then you probably went too far
and should decrease the amount of memory in the 'oxygen18.1.vmoptions' file and try again.

Note that the parameters from the ".vmoptions" file are only used if you start Oxygen with the "oxygen" launcher (or the desktop shortcut).
If you are using the command line startup script "oxygen.bat" (oxygen.sh for Linux) , you should modify the -Xmx parameter in this script file.

For Mac OS based machines, the Java 8 distribution of oXygen, allocates by default a quarter of the installed RAM memory.
If you want to increase the memory for oXygen, if the Xmx parameter is not defined in the oXygen's vmoptions, you should manually add it and set the the amount of RAM you want as its value.

To do this on the Mac OS X platform, you have to Ctrl-click(or right click) on the Oxygen application icon(Oxygen.app) in Finder and from the pop-up menu select Show Package Contents. Then navigate to the Contents directory and open for editing the Info.plist file.
You can open it with either the 'Property List Editor' or with 'TextEdit'.
Look for the key VMOptions, add the -Xmx parameter in a new <string> element, right under the first <array> and adjust it to a larger value.

More exactly, in the array element:

Code: Select all

<key>VMOptionArray</key>
<array>
insert a new line like:

Code: Select all

<string>-Xmx4096m</string> or <string>-Xmx8192m</string>
Again, make sure that you do not exceed the available RAM memory.

The above instructions apply if you start oXygen with the app.
If you are using the command line startup script "oxygenMac.sh", you should modify the -Xmx parameter in this script file.

I hope this helps and, in case you still encounter memory issues, just write us an email on support AT oxygenxml DOT com

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
damahend

Post by damahend »

Thank you . It is resolved now
cjhukill

Post by cjhukill »

I am receiving the same error as reported by Dasaratharajkumar, except for I'm using oXygen 16. Will this help for that version? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

There is a topic in the Oxygen user's manual explaining this:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... chers.html

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
cjhukill

Post by cjhukill »

Thank you for the reference!! I will give it type!!