What about Git support?

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
eloralon

What about Git support?

Post by eloralon »

Hello,

When do you plan to support Git repository in oXygen XML?

Our project needs to keep all development tasks on Git.

Thanks.
Costin

Re: What about Git support?

Post by Costin »

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not have plans for adding the Git support in the short term.
We, however, have a request already logged in our issue/improvement tracking system to be analyzed for a possible implementation in the long term.

I've just added your vote to that and, in case this would be added at some point, you will be notified.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
eloralon

Post by eloralon »

Is there a particular reason why you are in no rush to add Git support?
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Oxygen is currently supporting Subversion, so we feel there's no need to rush to support another version control system. Currently we are evaluating the necessary resources for implementing Git support.

As much as we would like to also provide support for Git, at this time we feel we should concentrate our resources on XML related features.

Please note that Oxygen is also available as an Eclipse plugin, so you could use it together with other plugins that implement Git support.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
dchapman

Post by dchapman »

I would like to add a request for Git support. Thanks.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

We added your vote for this.
In the meantime you can use an external GIT tool to manage your working copy and use Oxygen to edit the documents in the GIT working copy.
Or as Adrian said in a previous post you can use the Oxygen plugin for Eclipse.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
twcook

Post by twcook »

eloralon wrote:Hello,

Thanks.

+1
eloralon

Post by eloralon »

Still no plan for Git support?
Costin

Post by Costin »

No GIT support so far.
I am sorry to say that this is still planned for the long term.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
Frank Ralf

Post by Frank Ralf »

There's a nice tutorial by Eliot Kimber:

"Using Git to manage multiple OTs for use With OxygenXML"
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dit ... pics/34457

Frank
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com
smagu

Post by smagu »

eloralon wrote:Hello,

Thanks.
+20 (on behalf of my colleagues)

Hello,

I am part of an XML company that is actively using Git-based version control. There are 20 XML developers (and counting) all using XML Editors. We would appreciate using Git functionality directly from a standalone client.
jmignault

Post by jmignault »

100+ to all of the above posters.

I'm surprised that after 5 years, and the widespread use of git and github, that you still haven't implemented support for them in what are otherwise terrific tools.

--j
itauthor

Post by itauthor »

I am currently evaluating Oxygen Editor.
git support would have been an advantage for us.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Just wanted to re-iterate the fact that even if we do not provide a built-in GIT client does not mean that Oxygen cannot be used to edit content from a GIT repository.
Our user's manual is stored in GIT, we are using the free SourceTree GIT client for updating and pushing to the repository and we are using Oxygen to edit the content from the local GIT repository.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
itauthor

Post by itauthor »

Thanks Radu.
BTW: Being able to work with the source files for Oxygen User's Guide (from GitHub) is a great way to learn how to use DITA in Oxygen Editor.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Right, one of the reasons we made our user's manual available as a GitHub repository is to prove that DITA works as a solution and to show a real working example.

At the DITA Europe conference this November:

http://www.infomanagementcenter.com/DIT ... /index.htm

my presentation will be about the workflow we use to edit and make changes to our user's manual because it is a real example which may help others decide what to do and what not to do.

We use Atlassian JIRA for issue tracking, Git and SVN for collaboration and Oxygen for editing the DITA content.

Our choices when developing the user's manual were not perfect in all cases, we still have a mix of DITA 1.1 conrefs and DITA 1.2 conkeyrefs, there are still problems profiling certain topics and organizing the DITA Map structure but maybe such large manuals are always work in progress in regard to the organization of data.

We also had a video demo about collaborative working here:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/demo/Collabora ... rsion.html

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Let's stay focused and avoid turning this into a "here's how we use Git internally" thread.

I want to return to the fundamental question: When will oXygen include Git support? As a professional writer who depends on oXygen every day, "we're looking into it" or "we have plans" isn't good enough. This saga has been dragging on for years now.

Yes, I know that I can use Git with oXygen. Been doing that for a couple of years now. The point is that I'd like to perform some minimal Git tasks without having to go to the command line all the time. Just minimal integration with Git is all I ask. As an oXygen user, I want to perform at least the following tasks from within the oXygen GUI, without having to go to the command line:
* find out what Git branch I'm currently using
* checkout a different branch
* add or remove files in the Git staging area
* commit my changes

I'm really a nice guy who doesn't usually rant like this :D
But I gotta tell ya, this is really frustrating to me. :roll:
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Mike,
Let's stay focused and avoid turning this into a "here's how we use Git internally" thread.
We are staying focused. We are focused on making a great XML editing tool. We invested a lot of internal resources in the SVN client bundled with Oxygen and guess what, SVN is starting not to be that used anymore.
How about if another version system appears in a couple of years? Or if you start using Mercurial?
In my opinion it's best to keep the editing part separate from the tool which deals with version control.
In this way we can focus on what we know best.

You seem to want quite a lot of GIT functionality to be added inside the editor. Every new feature added to Oxygen comes with new bugs and new requests for adding new things. This would mean that we would need to allocate resources from the XML editing side to this new functionality. And in the end the bundled GIT functionality would lag behind other products which focus exclusively on this.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
jmignault

Post by jmignault »

Radu wrote:We are staying focused. We are focused on making a great XML editing tool. We invested a lot of internal resources in the SVN client bundled with Oxygen and guess what, SVN is starting not to be that used anymore.
How about if another version system appears in a couple of years? Or if you start using Mercurial?
In my opinion it's best to keep the editing part separate from the tool which deals with version control.
In this way we can focus on what we know best.
But at this point, making "a great XML editing tool" (which you'll get no argument from me about) includes collaborative and version control functionality. Yes, tool popularity changes. But asking if we know how hard you worked to add SVN functionality is irrelevant. Your paying customers are asking for you to incorporate a tool that it seems a significant number of them use. Version control support for multiple toolsets is base functionality for IDEs and editors these days. Don't think another XML editor couldn't appear in a couple of years as well.
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

You are avoiding answering this question:

When will oXygen include Git support?

I wanted us to stay focused on answering this question. No one doubts that you guys make the best XML tools. No one doubts that adding Subversion support in the past was hard.

But this is not what's at issue in this thread. The issue in this thread is When will oXygen include Git support?

Here are some possible answers:
* Git support will be available in the next release.
* Git support is on our development backlog, and will be available in _____ (fill in an estimate, such as "Q3 of 2015")
* We have decided not to support Git.

---------

Also, there's this:
"You seem to want quite a lot of GIT functionality to be added inside the editor."
What I actually asked for was for you to implement a very limited subset of tasks:
* find out what Git branch I'm currently using
* checkout a different branch
* add or remove files in the Git staging area
* commit my changes
You can use the following Git commands to fully implement all of the above:
git status
git branch
git checkout
git add
git rm
git commit

Six commands. That's all. Not what anyone would call I'd call "quite a lot".
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello Mike,

Here's the short version answer that you requested:
We have decided to not implement support for Git at this time.

If we manage to obtain the resources necessary to implement it, we will. This is unlikely in the short term, because all currently available resources are used for developing XML related features.
When/If it finally happens and we implement it, we will notify this thread and all people that have requested it by other means.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

OK, thanks for the clarification.
bobrum

Post by bobrum »

Just for the record, my team is getting ready to use Oxygen for a large doc set and a Git client would be very helpful.
ahenket

Post by ahenket »

I somehow expected that Git was not coming any time soon. Bringing SVN on board was a huge effort (and a job well done) and use it all day. Finding great SVN tools isn't as easy in the freeware/shareware space as for Git. I'm no fan of the command line interface for SVN nor would I be for Git. But so long as there are nice UIs out there that would eliminate having to revert to command line, I'm ok with switching between tools for Editing vs Versioning tasks. Note that I might be biased because I do not use Git that much.
Claudius Teodorescu

Post by Claudius Teodorescu »

Hi,

What if such a git client is packed as an Oxygen plugin?

Claudius
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Claudius,

I think our API would be enough for building a plugin providing GIT support.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
merzbauer

Post by merzbauer »

Hi all, I cannot believe that this is still on since mid 2013. The world has simply moved on, away from SVN.. I still benefit from the SVN integration and it works great. But pretty much all new projects are being started on Git(Hub). My XLIFF OMOS TC members simply refused to start the new project on SVN, so here I am in a dire need to have a git integration.
I know I could configure git as an external tool, or use the Oxygen Eclipse plugin, but come on, are you really going to force me to that? Tell me the git support will come with 18.1, please, please!

I subscribe to the integration extent requested by Mike C on 16 Jan 2016 (yes, a year and half ago :? )
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi David,

I'm sorry but we still do not have short or medium term plans for Git support. So you will need to use an external GIT client. I recommend SourceTree, we are using it internally for our user's manual DITA content and it works great.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi David,

While we provide an SVN client as part of oXygen that is not very closely integrated. SourceTree for example provides for Git very similar functionality with what the oXygen SVN client provides for Subversion. I wonder what functionality you miss exactly if you use oXygen+SourceTree+Git(Hub) versus oXygen+oXygen SVN Clinet+Subversion - it will be great if you can provide a few concrete examples.

Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina
cjboorman

Post by cjboorman »

Four years ago, I joined a company (TeleSign) as a Technical Writer. At the time, TeleSign had just migrated their version control system from SVN to Git (hosted internally). I'd never heard of Git, and since my new development team was using it, I decided to try to use it for my content version control system. It was a difficult learning curve, but once I comprehended the paradigm shift, I embraced Git.

In every contract I've had since then, every development team has migrated to Git (some from SVN, others from Mercurial). To me, it's obvious that there is a trend going on. Everyone is moving over to Git, and I can understand why - it's so much more powerful and intuitive than anything that came before it.

It now several years later, and I'm now wondering why SyncRO Soft doesn't see what I have seen. I.e., why isn't Git support built into oXygen XML Editor?

P.S. It's nice that you have included support for SVN, but now a days, no one wants to use it. Everyone wants to use the new industry standard - Git.