Global options

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
patrick

Global options

Post by patrick »

Hi,

We have many inhouse and external oxygen users. There are some global options like Add-ons URL, Encoding, Editor/Format settings, everyone of them should have set.

But I don't want to overwrite all settings with a exported settings file from me. Nice would be if I could define only a view settings and great would be if the import display the differences to the current options so he/she can decide to overwrite the settings or not.

Best regards,
Patrick
adrian

Re: Global options

Post by adrian »

Hi,

We do plan to explicitly support selective import/export of option pages in a future version of Oxygen. I've added your vote for this feature request.

Currently there is a workaround for this. Follow this procedure:
1. Create a new project (Project > New Project) to make sure you start clean
2. For the option pages you want to export (from Options > Preferences) adjust the desired options, press Apply and set the Project Options radio at the bottom of each option page. You will be asked if you want to overwrite or preserve the project options from the page, choose Overwrite.
3. Repeat step 2. for all required option pages and you will have all these options in the project file (.xpr). Press Apply in the Preferences dialog to save them.
4. Check in Options > Preferences all the option pages that are set at project level. They are represented in the left side navigation tree with bold text and a [P] marker. e.g. Add-ons [P]

With this .xpr configured with options you can go two ways depending on what you want:
- give this project to the users and have them simply load it in Oxygen and use it and its options at the project level. You can keep the project file (.xpr) in a version control system (SVN, Git, Mercurial, etc) to be able to easily push new changes.
- give this project to the users and instruct them to load the project and import the options (selectively) from the project into their global options.

To import the options selectively from the project into the global options:
1. Open the project that contains the options
2. For each of the option pages (Options > Preferences) that are stored in the project (bold text and a [P] marker) and you want to import, switch the radio at the bottom of the page to Global Options. When you do this, you will be asked if you want to overwrite or preserve the global options, choose Overwrite to import them in the global options. Press Apply in the Preferences dialog to save them.
3. Reload the normal working project (or create a new project) and resume working with the newly imported global options.

The only problem with this import procedure is that you can only see the options that are currently active, so you cannot see the options that you are overwriting.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com