footers

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
olivier_m

footers

Post by olivier_m »

Hello

I have some time issues concerning footers. When I add a footer (a .xml file) in the args.ftr area, the transformation takes too much time. Without the footer I generate my documentation in 20 minutes and with the footer it takes 5 hours. Is that normal ? Do you have an idea to fix it ?

Thanks
sorin_ristache

Re: footers

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

What is the content of that XML footer file? Does it contain a DTD or schema declaration? Maybe it contains a DTD or schema declaration that points to a remote server on the web and the transformer processor needs to load that schema from that server for each page where the footer must be inserted. If there are many pages in the output of the transformation and the server is down then a timeout of 40 seconds (if you have the default value for the option Read timeout) is added to the total time for each output page.

If this is the cause of the long time I think you have two options:
  • remove the declaration of the DTD/schema from the beginning of the XML footer file,
  • set a small value for the read timeout option, for example 3 seconds.

Regards,
Sorin
olivier_m

Re: footers

Post by olivier_m »

My footer contained a DTD. I deleted it and now it works and takes 20 minutes again. Thank you very much for your quick answer. :)