wrapping problem

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

wrapping problem

Post by Guest »

I am having a problem when I select text wrapping: Oxygen inserts a hard return and tab characters into the file when I turn text wrapping on. Is there no way to do soft wrapping, where the line gets wrapped and indented, but no extra characters are inserted? This seems like an obvious requirement for an editor, and is the only reason that I am still using XML Spy as my XML editor.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

If you turn the soft wrapping to on in oXygen then the lines will be shown wrapped. The editor will not insert new lines or tabs when you edit a file unless you type them. When you turn wrapping off then you will see the full lines and you will have to sroll to get to the end of long lines.

But maybe you are refering to pretty print operation which does a hard wrapping on the text lines. You can control the maximum line length from the Options dialog. In the next release there will be available a indent selection option that will do a light indenting just putting the tags in the right place and leave the text as it was.

Best Regards,
George
nihilo

thanks

Post by nihilo »

george wrote:Hi,

If you turn the soft wrapping to on in oXygen then the lines will be shown wrapped. The editor will not insert new lines or tabs when you edit a file unless you type them. When you turn wrapping off then you will see the full lines and you will have to sroll to get to the end of long lines.

But maybe you are refering to pretty print operation which does a hard wrapping on the text lines. You can control the maximum line length from the Options dialog. In the next release there will be available a indent selection option that will do a light indenting just putting the tags in the right place and leave the text as it was.

Best Regards,
George
Thanks very much for the help. I did indeed mean 'pretty-printing', and your solution works fine (as long as I don't have an element more than 1000 characters). It sounds like the light indenting will do exactly what I want without the 1000-character limit. Thanks...
nihilo

line wrapping in eclipse plugin??

Post by nihilo »

The solution proposed above seems not to work in the eclipse plugin, because it doesn't have an option for doing 'line wrapping.'

Am i missing something, or is this really not possible from within eclipse?
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

It is not possible to have soft line wrapping for the Eclipse version.

As far as I know there is not line wrapping support in the Eclipse TextEditor and implementing it is not a simple task. More, this is not a feature at XML support level but rather at framework level. The framework from the oXygen standalone version supports it so we have this feature there, when the Eclipse framework will support it we will do whatever changes are necessary in our code to support it.

Best Regards,
George
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Update: there is support for line wrapping in Eclipse. We added support in oxygen to use it and the next release will feature soft wrapping.

There are some problems when soft wrapping is used together with line numbers as the line numbers will count a wrapped line as a new line.

Best Regards,
George