Change markers

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
cnahr

Change markers

Post by cnahr »

I'd like to request change markers in the text editor, as in Visual Studio: a yellow highlight in the line number area when a line is edited and has not been saved yet, and a green highlight when it was edited and saved. Unless that functionality is already there and I missed an option? Thanks.
adrian

Re: Change markers

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Currently (v14.0) this is not available in Oxygen (unless you're using the SVN Client which is a different thing).

I understand how that would work for an edited line that has not been saved yet, but if it has already been saved, then what is it supposed to be used as reference (base) for the original file? I'm not sure how that works in Visual Studio, but this feature seems to be related to the version control support from Visual Studio (VSS, TFS or third party). Can you please confirm if it has any connection with this support?

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
cnahr

Post by cnahr »

No, it's a pure text editor feature in Visual Studio, unrelated to version control. Changes are not checked against disk files or repositories, the editor simply remembers all the lines you changed in each file since it was opened (green) or last saved (yellow). Closing the file loses all such markers.

The standalone text editor EmEditor (www.emeditor.com) has a similar but even simpler feature where line numbers appear in bold for each line that was changed since the last save of the current file. That would be fine, too.

So it's not a very smart or complex feature, but I find it quite helpful to quickly check what edits I've made during the current session. (I'm sure Visual Studio also has some kind of change markers based on version control but that's not what I was thinking of here.)
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

I understand, so it should mark all the lines modified in the current editing session (since the file was opened). In addition, the lines modified after the last saved should have distinct markers.

I've logged your comments to our issue tracking tool. We will consider implementing this feature in the long term.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
cnahr

Post by cnahr »

Great, thanks. :)