Tile Editors Horizontally or Vertically: Enable to rearrange edited files (by mouse)

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
tatra603

Tile Editors Horizontally or Vertically: Enable to rearrange edited files (by mouse)

Post by tatra603 »

Good afternoon,

can I ask You for improvement regarding menu -> "Window" -> "Tile Editors Horizontally or Vertically"? I want to set (by mouse) order of edited files in "Tile Editors" mode. While in non "Tile Editors" mode I can change order of edited files my mouse drag and drop, I can not do it in "Tile Editors" mode, because when switching to TE mode, files are ordered alphabetically and the attempt of mouse drag and drop ordering results in switch to non TE mode.

I am asking for this feature, because I have "input" and "output" pairs of files of different file names and I want to have output always on left tile and input on right tile. I can not change file names.

Thank You in advance. Stepan
adrian

Re: Tile Editors Horizontally or Vertically: Enable to rearrange edited files (by mouse)

Post by adrian »

Hello,

This is already possible. You can stack or tile editors individually and you can even mix and match vertical and horizontal tiling, there is no mode restriction. You can also rearrange them one by one with the mouse in the order that you prefer.

When tiled, you can still drag and drop the editors, but note that they are docked in the same way as a window/view (instead of just tabs). You are actually rearranging the editor windows, so drag the editor tab and drop it to one of the sides of an editor (left/right/top/bottom). While dragging, you will see a rectangle aligned to one of the sides of the editor or around the entire editor window. If you drop it to one of the sides it will dock to that side of the editor. If you drop it when the rectangle is around the entire window of the editor it will get stacked on top of that editor. You can also grab one of the stacked editors and tile it to one of the sides.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
tatra603

Re: Tile Editors Horizontally or Vertically: Enable to rearrange edited files (by mouse)

Post by tatra603 »

Yes, You are right, I did not noticed these modes of drag and drop (marked as different sizes and positions of grey rectangle). I am sorry and thank You for Your help. Stepan
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Don't worry, I've noticed that the editor docking behavior is not clearly documented in the user manual, so I've logged a request for that on our issue tracking tool.

The User Manual explaining some of the behavior (though not very clear) is here:
User Manual: Dockable Views and Editors

Also, there is a video demonstration showing how docking works for the views (it's similar for the editors, but without the floating/auto hide abilities):
Dockable and Floating Views
I've also logged a request to create a specific video demonstration for the editor docking.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
RBVanDyke

Post by RBVanDyke »

For oXygen XML Editor 21, Java-based Linux version.

It seems that tiling editors vertically places the editing windows in the order they were opened (versus alphabetically)?

Also, when I've tried drag-and-drop'ing tiled editor windows, all I've been able to achieve is UN-tiling the editors. That is, they don't switch positions(?)

SO, I'd like to be able to sequence tiled windows in a predictable way...(?)

Cheers,m thanks, and hope this helps,
Riley
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,
It seems that tiling editors vertically places the editing windows in the order they were opened (versus alphabetically)?
Yes, that is correct, the order of the stacked editors is preserved when they are tiled. This way the process is reversible. You can always stack them back together and they are in the same order.
Also, when I've tried drag-and-drop'ing tiled editor windows, all I've been able to achieve is UN-tiling the editors. That is, they don't switch positions(?)
Each tile is its own docking area which follows the same rules as the large stacked editors docking area. If you want to change the tile order you should drag an editor tab and drop it to the left or to the right of the docking area (the tile) where you want it (closer to the vertical middle). Note that a border appears during mouse dragging that shows where the editor will be docked (to what side of an existing tile) when you drop it.
If this border is one big rectangle that moves with your mouse pointer that means you're undocking it, so you should try dropping it somewhere closer to the tile middle, if you want it docked.
If the rectangle completely overlaps an existing tile, it means it's going to be stacked with the editors from that tile.
You can actually combine vertical and horizontal tiling with the help of the docking support.

See Configuring the Interface of Oxygen, the Dockable Editors part.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza