Timeout accessing documents in eXist

Oxygen general issues.
Rumplestiltzkin

Timeout accessing documents in eXist

Post by Rumplestiltzkin »

Since upgrading to version 12 (and now 12.1) I am constantly getting timeout errors when retrieving, saving, refreshing, validating, including, etc., etc., etc., XML resources from our eXist database. :(

Has something changed? Is there a parameter/option I can set to increase the timeout time?

Stephen
adrian

Re: Timeout accessing documents in eXist

Post by adrian »

Hello,

What version of eXist are you currently using with Oxygen?
Oxygen v12 introduced experimental support for eXist 1.5.

You can adjust the timeout value for HTTP connections(which also affects the eXist connection timeout) in: Options -> Preferences -> HTTP(S)/(S)FTP/Proxy Configuration -> Advanced HTTP Settings, Read timeout (seconds).
Use 30 or 60. Avoid using more than 60 because any HTTP error that depends on this, will delay you by this amount. The delay is also multiplied by the number of retries(usually 3).

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Rumplestiltzkin

We're using eXist v1.2 currently, although we plan to migrate to v1.4 in a couple of months.

I was hoping there was another option somewhere because I have already changed Options -> Preferences -> HTTP(S)/(S)FTP/Proxy Configuration -> Advanced HTTP Settings, Read timeout (seconds) to 60, but it hasn't made any difference. :(
Rumplestiltzkin

Incidentally, the HTTP timeout setting was previously 20 seconds, but it's not waiting anywhere near 20 seconds; if the error occurs it's always with 1 or 2 seconds. :?
Rumplestiltzkin

Also, incidentally, the timeout is on establishing a connection to the eXist database, not on retrieving the data. This may be the same thing - I'm no expert in HTTP - but it may not, so I thought it worth pointing out.
Rumplestiltzkin

Rumplestiltzkin wrote:Incidentally, the HTTP timeout setting was previously 20 seconds, but it's not waiting anywhere near 20 seconds; if the error occurs it's always with 1 or 2 seconds. :?
I carried out some more checking and actually, it's _always_ about 5 seconds.
adrian

Post by adrian »

In this case the problem is not the timeout value.
The eXist libraries were updated in Oxygen v12 to accommodate eXist 1.5. Unfortunately these libraries are not backwards compatible with eXist 1.2, so this version is no longer supported.

The documentation doesn't mention this limitation, so we'll have to update it.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com