Server Side Debugging

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
bdueck

Server Side Debugging

Post by bdueck »

Hi;

Wondering if you can comment on current or planned features of oXygen that would enable server-side or remote XQuery debugging.

The scenario I am envisioning is where a J2EE server application that uses the Saxon XQuery processor as part of its processing.

What I would like is to be able to use oXygen to remotely attach to the server application and be able to use oXygen's debugger to step through the execution of the XQuery on the server.

Obviously the server application would need to implement some remotable version of the Saxon debugger interface (defined by oXygen perhaps).

The overall analogy is that I'd like to have for XQuery what we have had with Java remote debugging for years.

Thoughts on if this can be done currently or if this is planned for the future are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brian.
adrian

Re: Server Side Debugging

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Currently we have no plans for providing such an API. Depending on the interest in this feature we may provide one in the future.

Though you should know that the existing Saxon XQuery Debugger in Oxygen is supported by a little more that just the Saxon API. Several patches are applied to be able to access certain debugging information from Saxon. So making the remote debugger work at the same level of features as the local one would be quite a task.

Currently Oxygen has remote XQuery debugging capabilities only for MarkLogic though with some limitations when compared to the local Saxon XQuery debugging.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com