Author mode - show progress when opening large file

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
honyk

Author mode - show progress when opening large file

Post by honyk »

Hello,

it would be nice to show progress when opening large file in Author mode. Now Oxygen freezes for a while. This is most missing when some search result item is clicked what causes opening corresponding file. Before prevoious experience users are confused what is going on, why Oxygen doesn't respond...

Jan
sorin_ristache

Re: Author mode - show progress when opening large file

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Do you mean you double click on a match of a search done in the Find/Replace in Files dialog and the file with that match is opened in Author mode? That should not happen because in this case the XML files are opened always in Text mode for precise highlighting of the search match in the opened file.

Anyway the minimum file size for displaying the progress dialog during a file open action is 200 KB. What is the size of your file?

Regards,
Sorin
honyk

Post by honyk »

I was probably wrong with search results, it has happened in different situation, but by clicking on content in bottom panel (validation?).

But now I understand why progress is not displayed. My file is far below 200 kB, BUT it contains XIncludes to other files, so if displaying reffered content is switched on, opened file is quite huge at the end.

I would modify my suggestion to display progress for files above 200 kB, but inclusive the reffered content.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

honyk wrote:I would modify my suggestion to display progress for files above 200 kB, but inclusive the reffered content.
Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider it for a future version.

Regards,
Sorin
honyk

Post by honyk »

I see it is fixed in 11.1, thanks.

But I would improve it a bit:
When Oxygen is opened again with a large document opened from the previous session, a dialog with progress appears. When the Cancel button is pressed accidentally in this stage, loading of XIncludes is interrupted so they appear as not resolved in the opened editor. Ok, this is awaited behaviour. If this not resolved content is to be displayed:
1) switching to the text mode and back doesn't help.
2) if reload button is pressed, reloading starts without the progress.

ad 1) I would allow reloading the document when switching from the Text to the Author mode (with the progress displayed)
ad 2) I would display the progress even when reloading the document.

Regards,
Jan
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hello Jan,

We will try to add this progress also when using "Reload", "Refresh References" or when passing from Text to Author for a future version.

As for switching to the Text and back:
If you make no modifications in the Text page and then switch to Author the Author content will not get reloaded so you have to perform a modification in the Text page in order to reload the Author page.
Thus the Author content is reloaded only when considered necessary.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com