Mac Key Bindings

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
wojtow

Mac Key Bindings

Post by wojtow »

Just started using oXygen. Super program. Has really simplified some complex tasks.

However, when I use it on my Mac, I'm noticing some trouble with the key bindings, particularly with the Control key. I use shortcut keys heavily.

For example...

^c, ^x, ^v don't work, but the more Mac familiar Apple key equivalents work. Haven't found the Apple combination to work in place of any of the other control key combinations.

^s does save the file

^f (find) doesn't seem to work in the editor window, but does work in the outline. Find can be invoked in the editor from the menubar.

^e (surround with tags) doesn't work in the editor window, but the function can be invoked through the menus.

^z (undo) does work

^l (goto line) does work in the editor

^/ (close other folds) doesn't work anywhere

These all seem to work fine in the Windows version however.

This is the latest version of oXygen, running on OSX 10.5. Factory settings..only thing I customized were some of the colors.

Thanks!
sorin_ristache

Re: Mac Key Bindings

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I tried these actions in Oxygen 10.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Apple's Java 1.5.0_16) and the familiar key combinations work correctly, that is the Meta key, not the Ctrl key that is used in shortcuts on Windows computers: Meta+c/Meta+x/Meta+v for Copy/Cut/Paste, Meta+s for Save, Meta+f for Find, Meta+l for Go to line, Meta+z for Undo, Meta+Numpad Divide for Close Other Folds, etc. The key combinations with the Ctrl key instead of Meta should work only on Windows, not on Mac OS X. This is the normal behavior in Mac OS applications and this is what I get in Oxygen 10.0. Are these actions executed on your Mac computer with shortcuts containing the Ctrl key instead of the Meta key and you did not change the shortcuts for these actions from Options -> Menu Shortcut Keys?

Regards,
Sorin
juicejuice

Post by juicejuice »

We are using oXygen 12.2, primarily on Windows, except for myself on Mac OS X 10.9.1.

I have found the Preference panel "Menu Shortcut Keys" and enabled "Home and End keys are applied at line level". This gets my home/end keys working the way I want.. almost. The remaining problem is Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End, which should move the cursor to start or end of the document. How do I get that working?

FWIW, in Mac OS X I have added a ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict file which makes all other Mac applications work as I want, but these keybindings do not seem to take effect in oXygen.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

The difference between Oxygen and other native Mac applications is that Oxygen is a Java application. Java emulates the best it can the platform behaviour (usually with default settings) and in this case it's most likely unaware of the custom keybindings that you've defined in that config file. Oxygen relies on the Java support for the text navigation shortcuts and it doesn't offer the option to override them.

Unfortunately I don't see a simple workaround for this. I guess you could probably implement a couple of Oxygen plugins that would be bound to these shortcuts and they could do what you want. However that requires some Java development skills and the v12.2 SDK which was very limited when compared with the latest version.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com