External tools - multiple commands possible?

Oxygen general issues.
sanderson

External tools - multiple commands possible?

Post by sanderson »

I'm really starting to use the external tools option, which allows me to make oXygen the center of my world. One problem I'm running into, though, is that I can't string multiple commands together. This is in WinXP, with stand-along oXygen.

For example, I'd like to have the following external tool command:

Code: Select all

p4 sync c:\dev\doc\...
p4 sync c:\dev\app\...
If I do that, though, the two lines get treated as one. If I turn them into one line and separate them with &&, which is a way to combine commands at the dos prompt, the first command succeeds, but the second one does not. The same command run at the command-prompt does succeed.

I know I can use a batch file for this, but I'd rather not. Can you string multiple command lines together in an external tool call from oXygen?
sorin_ristache

Re: External tools - multiple commands possible?

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

We will consider modifying the built-in command line interpreter of oXygen to allow more than one command in the command line of an external tool. Can you tell us why you would not like to use a batch file with multiple commands as external tool in oXygen?

Regards,
Sorin
sanderson

Re: External tools - multiple commands possible?

Post by sanderson »

If I used a batch file, and I wanted to change the external tool command, I'd have to find and edit the batch file. If that was a quick one-off change, I'd have to then revert my change. If I could string together multiple commands in the oxygen external tool command, it'd all be right there, and it'd be much easier to manage.