Lose window focus - can't edit text after search

Oxygen general issues.
larsS

Lose window focus - can't edit text after search

Post by larsS »

Problem:
When I am in the Oxygen XML Editor and use the search in a file (Ctrl+F) and then jump back into the text, the focus is currently always lost from the program. Then I can't edit or write anything and I can't get back into the window with Esc or Enter, I have to use the mouse or Alt-Tab to switch out and back in again to be allowed to write.
I only have the problem in Oxygen, so I don't think it's related to the system. There is a bug that triggers a focus loss when switching workspaces, which may be the cause. (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1407281 ... 4-gnome-42)
But it confuses me that it only occurs when I search in the file.

Version: XML Editor 24.1, build 2022110312

Thanks in advance
adrian

Re: Lose window focus - can't edit text after search

Post by adrian »

Hello,
But it confuses me that it only occurs when I search in the file.
That means it is probably triggered by the Find window which has the specific of being non-modal (allows focus in main window).

Oxygen is a Java application, it doesn't control window focus implementation other than giving focus here and there. It may be a Java issue triggered when switching workspaces.
You might have some luck trying various versions of Java with Oxygen and see if the issue occurs. As luck would have it v24.1 has the best compatible range with Java versions. It is compatible with Java/OpenJDK 8, 11, 17 and with minimal effort should also work with Java 21.
To make Oxygen run with the system installed (default) Java (set in JAVA_HOME or the PATH), you can rename the "jre" folder from the Oxygen installation folder. You can check what Java version it is using in Help > About, System properties, java.version

PS: For Java 21 you need to specify the argument -Djava.security.manager=allow in the startup script you use to run Oxygen or the custom_commons.vmoptions file.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com