Create @xmlid as xref for link targetsin DocBook Documents

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
fsteimke

Create @xmlid as xref for link targetsin DocBook Documents

Post by fsteimke »

Hi,
the Oxygen Menu Action for selecting cross-reference targets in DocBook Documents is really helpfull. The Link/Cross refence Link Menu Action shows all possible targets, lets me select the right one and sets the value of the xref/@linkend attribute accordingly.

However, the List of possible targets is restricted to elements that have an @xml:id Attribute. When i'd like to a create a cross reference to a section without this attribute, it does not show up in the list of targets. So i have to interrupt my action, go to the intendend section and add this attribute.

I suggest a feature that allows me to select xref link targets from a list of DocBook formal components that have titels like chapter, preface, appendix, section, table, figure, example and so on. If there is not @xml:id attribte, it shall be created and set als the value of the xref @linkend attribute.

Second suggestion is a default value for the xref/@xrefstyle attribute.

Sincerely, Frank Steimke
chrispitude

Re: Create @xmlid as xref for link targetsin DocBook Documents

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Frank,

My favorite way of creating cross-references in Oxygen is to copy the target element, then Paste Special > Paste as link (with or without "keyref" as the situation requires). I have an Oxygen enhancement request filed for Oxygen to create—or offer to create—an @id value for the target element.

I am a DITA person and I do not use DocBook, so I am not sure how relevant my request would apply to your need. I just wanted to share it in case it was useful to you.
fsteimke

Post by fsteimke »

Hi chrispitude,
thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it works, but compared to the User Interface in Microsoft Word or Libreoffice its cumbersome. In Office Applications its quite easy to make a cross reference to a titled section. A bookmark will be created on the fly if its not already there.

I'd like to make cross references to titled components in DocBook (or DITA) as easy as in Office Applications.
Greetings, Frank
IrinaNadolu

Post by IrinaNadolu »

Hi,

I wanted to inform you that we have taken note of the problems you've been experiencing and have created an internal issue to address them. When the issue will be fixed we'll update this forum thread with more details.

Best regards,
Irina Nadolu
Irina Nadolu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com