Keeping Publication TOCs of various WebHelp guides separate

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
doctissimus

Keeping Publication TOCs of various WebHelp guides separate

Post by doctissimus »

Hi,

I searched for this in the forums but couldn't find anything. The ditamap for my WebHelp Responsive transformation references ditamaps from several different but related guides. To keep things simple, I'll call them the User Guide and the Sysadmin Guide.

I have the WebHelp output's main page and menu configured the way I want, with links to each distinct guide. Is there a way to generate the output so topic pages show only the Publication TOC for the corresponding guide? Right now every topic page includes both the User Guide's TOC and the Sysadmin Guide's TOC as one long TOC, which I'm hoping to avoid.

Thanks for any insight.
chrispitude

Re: Keeping Publication TOCs of various WebHelp guides separate

Post by chrispitude »

Hi doctissimus,

The webhelp.publication.toc.links controls what the left-side TOC shows. It is documented here:

WebHelp Responsive Transformation Parameters

Does this help?
doctissimus

Re: Keeping Publication TOCs of various WebHelp guides separate

Post by doctissimus »

Thanks very much, chrispitude. These *.publication.toc.* parameters don't quite give me what I want, at least not how I've been trying to use them.

I have a product called MyCoolProduct. It has documentation in the form of a User Guide and a Sysadmin Guide.

The User Guide's TOC needs to look something like this:
Overview
Logging in
- Password management
The user interface

The Sysadmin Guide's TOC needs to look something like this:
Overview
Installation
- System requirements
Troubleshooting

My WebHelp output's main page displays tiles and a top menu. The only links it contains will take readers to the "Overview" topic page for either guide. What I want is, when someone clicks the "User Guide" link on the main page and is directed to the User Guide's "Overview" topic, only the User Guide TOC should show up in the Publication TOC on the left. When a reader is looking at the User Guide's topic pages, there should be only two mouse-click ways for them to reach the Sysadmin Guide: by clicking the "Sysadmin Guide" link within the top menu or by way of first clicking back to the main page (e.g. through the breadcrumb or the header's Publication Title or the browser's Back button). Likewise, when a reader reaches the Sysadmin Guide, only its TOC should show up in the Publication TOC.

Is there a way for me to accomplish this without building each guide separately? I'd like to maintain a root ditamap that references each guide's individual ditamap.