Order of switching between editor tabs

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
ckabstein

Post by ckabstein »

Hi,
I am not sure if I understood the general preferences setting "Order of switching between editor tabs".
In the documentation, it says:
This option specifies the order for switching between open file tabs when using Ctrl + Tab (Command + Tab on macOS) or Ctrl + Shift + Tab (Command + Shift + Tab on macOS). You can choose between:
  • Recently used order - Switches to the most recently used tab.
  • Visual order - Switches to the next tab in visual order.
I have expected that if I set it to "Recently used order", you can use the Ctrl + Tab or Ctrl + Shift + Tab shortcuts to switch back and forth between the the topics, i.e. if you only work on two tabs, you should be able to switch between only those two tabs with the keyboard shortcuts, shouldn't you?
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If I press Ctrl + Tab/Ctrl + Shift + Tab to go to the next/previously used tab, it only appears to work once, but then the next/previous tab is selected at random.
Maybe I just misunderstand the functionality.
I have an author who asks for a function like in Adobe Acrobat Pro that allows you to switch to the previous/next view when moving around in a document. This would come in quite handy, especially if you have several tabs open but want to switch only between two current topics.
The "Show List" pop-up seems to not be comfortable enough.
As an alternative, it could be helpful if the "Show List" pop-up could be configured as a view.
Thanks,
Christina
oXygen XML Editor 25.0 build 2023013006
DITA OT 3.7.3
adrian

Re: Order of switching between editor tabs

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

I have tested in v25.1 and I do see some issues with the "visual order" option. I believe the problems are triggered by the "new" option:
[x] Load file content only when switching to its corresponding editor tab
This option (default enabled) optimizes the startup loading of editors. Documents are only loaded when you first select them (switch to them) rather then at startup.
If you clear this option navigation between tabs starts to work as expected (at least in a predictable manner).
I've logged an issue to investigate and resolve this.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com