Parameter to control search bar position

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
InspectorSpacetime

Parameter to control search bar position

Post by InspectorSpacetime »

I would assume that a lot of users like to change the position of the search bar, in order to get the page layout they need. Currently this can be done with the XHTML fragments or a custom plugin, but for someone not familiar with web development and such this might be difficult and time-consuming.

Wouldn’t it be handy for the users, if there was a parameter that controls where the search bar is inserted? This would give users a quick way to customize the layout.

I think the most common options would be to place the search bar in the header or above the left TOC. Maybe also one where the search bar is not created at all?
cosmin_andrei

Re: Parameter to control search bar position

Post by cosmin_andrei »

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback!
In the future we are thinking to have more templates for each layout so the user can choose the best template for each use-case.
I have logged an issue to our internal tracking tool to be investigated by our development team.
Regards,
Cosmin
--
Cosmin Andrei
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Cosmin,

I wonder if there could be an interactive tool like the Styles Basket, but that instead builds template HTML files with some kind of interface that allows the components to be placed and arranged. If this interface is shown in the browser, then the browser's own CSS Flexbox support could be used to take care of rendering the placeholders.
cosmin_andrei

Post by cosmin_andrei »

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your feedback!
I have logged an issue to our internal tracking tool to be further investigated by our development team.
Regards,
Cosmin
--
Cosmin Andrei
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
galanohan

Post by galanohan »

So... I've searching answers for similar questions like this one for days. My boss asked me to move the search bar to the top of the webhelp page. However, I'm not quite experienced with css and even though I tried using certain universal parameters listed in W3C school, which might affect the layout and position of search bar, none of those settings worked as expected.
marius

Post by marius »

Hello,
We have a collection of Oxygen Publishing Templates that can be used as a starting point for customizing WebHelp output.
One of them it moves the Search Input component from its default location to the header section of each output page.
You can find it here: https://github.com/oxygenxml/oxygen-pub ... -in-header
Regards,

Marius
Marius Ciolacu
Syncro Soft / Oxygen XML
galanohan

Post by galanohan »

Hi Marius,

Thanks for the GREAT info! That works pretty good!