Oxygen fails to start after upgrade of Git Plugin

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
kai_weber

Oxygen fails to start after upgrade of Git Plugin

Post by kai_weber »

After upgrading the Git Plugin to 5.0.1 (interestingly that's already offered when clicking the Add-Ons upgrade check, even though your GitHub repo still lists 5.0.0 as the latest version) in Oxygen 25 (current build or previous build), Oxygen does not start anymore. Instead it displays a FATAL ERROR with the following stack trace:

Code: Select all

Cannot start <oXygen/> XML Editor.
Due to:java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:77)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Constructor.java:499)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:480)
	at ro.sync.ui.application.ApplicationLauncher.d(Unknown Source)
	at ro.sync.ui.application.ApplicationLauncher.launch(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
	at ro.sync.exml.Oxygen.main(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
	at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:84)
	at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:94)
	at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:25)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot read the array length because "listFiles" is null
	at com.oxygenxml.git.utils.RepoUtil.detectRepositoryDownwards(RepoUtil.java:330)
	at com.oxygenxml.git.utils.RepoUtil.detectRepositoryDownwards(RepoUtil.java:331)
	at com.oxygenxml.git.utils.RepoUtil.detectRepoDownwards(RepoUtil.java:304)
	at com.oxygenxml.git.utils.RepoUtil.detectRepositoryInProject(RepoUtil.java:244)
	at com.oxygenxml.git.ProjectHelper.loadRepositoryFromOxygenProject(ProjectHelper.java:247)
	at com.oxygenxml.git.ProjectHelper.lambda$installUpdateProjectOnChangeListener$1(ProjectHelper.java:302)
	at ro.sync.exml.project.c.tmr(Unknown Source)
	at ro.sync.exml.project.c.blr(Unknown Source)
	at ro.sync.exml.project.c.dlr(Unknown Source)
	at ro.sync.exml.project.c.qlr(Unknown Source)
	at ro.sync.exml.project.c.ckr(Unknown Source)
	at ro.sync.exml.MainFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at ro.sync.exml.MainFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
	... 19 more
Best regards,
Kai
alex_jitianu

Re: Oxygen fails to start after upgrade of Git Plugin

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! We will fix this situation in a next maintenance release. I think the project loaded in the Project view is no longer present on disk. Until we release a fix, to go over this situation, you need to temporarily disable the Git Client by following this procedure:
- got to [user_home_directory]/Library/Preferences/com.oxygenxml/extensions/v25.0/plugins/com.oxygenxml.git/oxygen-git-client-addon-5.0.1
- create new file named plugin.disable
- start Oxygen
If you want to use the Git Client before we release the fix, you can ensure the exception doesn't happen like this:
- go to the Project view in Oxygen and create or load a new project.
- close Oxygen
- remove the plugin.disable file
- start Oxygen

Best regards,
Alex
kai_weber

Post by kai_weber »

Hello Alex,

thank you, that worked, though the path to the configuration folder was a bit different on my Windows machine (${User Home}\AppData\Roaming\com.oxygenxml\extensions\v25.0\plugins\com.oxygenxml.git\oxygen-git-client-addon-5.1.0).

When re-opening oXygen after I've removed the "plugin.disable" file, it also asked me something like: "We've recognized xyz is a Git repo folder, do you want to change to this folder as your current repo folder?" I've clicked "yes" this time - and might have been clicking on "no" last time I saw this message. Possibly that has caused the original problem?
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hi Kai,

Hard to say... From the stack trace I would say that the exception is in the part that searches for the repository in the file structure of the current project, a processing that occurs before the question is presented. Anyway, we are in the processes of releasing a fix version, so it will not happen again.

Best regards,
Alex