Multiple data directories

Post here questions and problems related to oXygen frameworks/document types.
jensebr

Multiple data directories

Post by jensebr »

Is there a way to have Oxygen Web Author recognize 2 directories containing the plugins and frameworks subdirectories (the "Web Author Oxygen Data Directory")? The built in one defaults to <INSTALL_PATH>\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost\oxygen-xml-web-author. I created another one in a location outside the install tree and pointed the application to it using the oxygen.data.dir java option. That works, but is there a way to have both of those directories recognized?
cristi_talau

Re: Multiple data directories

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,
Web Author supports only one "data directory". It has some flexibility on how it loads frameworks and plugins. If you ca share what you want to achieve with two such folders, we may be able to find a solution to support your use-case.
For example, there is an "additional.frameworks.directories" option that you can configure [1]. For plugins, there is a mechanism that loads a plugin from another directory by placing a "plugin.redirect" file in the plugins folder.
In Web Author 24.1 we also separated user-uploaded plugins and frameworks from the builtin ones in two separate directories (all inside the same data directory).

Best,
Cristian
[1] https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... Cdirectory
[2] https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... n.redirect
jensebr

Post by jensebr »

Ok, not a big deal, I just wanted to keep our custom frameworks and plugins separate. I saw the user frameworks and plugins directories and am already using them. But if I have the data directory set to one outside the install tree, will the builtin stuff in that data directory get updated when we upgrade OWA?
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,
Our installers upgrade the builtin frameworks and plugins and leave the user-provided ones unchanged. If you are using the WAR distribution, you can create a similar process yourself.
Best,
Cristian
jensebr

Post by jensebr »

Right, I understood that part of it. My question now is whether the builtin frameworks, etc. in my external (ie. not in the OWA install tree) data directory will be updated correctly when OWA upgrades/updates occur?
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,
If you use our Windows or Linux installer, the installer will update the builtin plugins that were installed as part of the previous installation. It will not modify the plugins outside the installation directory.
Best,
Cristian