common interface for accessing context

Post here questions and problems related to oXygen frameworks/document types.
Krille

common interface for accessing context

Post by Krille »

Hi,

when writing author mode operations I can use AuthorAccess.getDocumentController().evaluateXPath(...) for evaluating an XPath expression on the current document. When writing a schema manager filter I can use context.executeXPath(...) from ro.sync.contentcompletion.xml.Context for evaluating expressions.

Is there an interface, I can use from both ends? I'd like to share more code between author mode operations and cc for text mode.

Using ro.sync.contentcompletion.xml.Context is not as convenient as the interfaces for writing author mode actions, but it would nevertheless be cool to be able to access it from AuthorAccess.

Regards,
Chris
Radu

Re: common interface for accessing context

Post by Radu »

Hi Chris,

As you sensed the Schema Manager Filter is designed to work with both the Text and Author editing modes. So it does not have references to the AuthorAccess.
The "Context" API has this method "ro.sync.contentcompletion.xml.Context.executeXPath(String, String[], boolean)" and then the AuthorDocumentController has this API "ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.AuthorDocumentController.evaluateXPath(String, boolean, boolean, boolean)" which would both return DOM nodes so you may try to use these methods to reuse code.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Krille

Post by Krille »

Hi Radu!

Thanks for the clearance. I see.

I was wondering about the return type of "ro.sync.contentcompletion.xml.Context.executeXPath(String, String[], boolean)" which according to the API docs (and my IDE) is an non-parametrized "java.util.List".
So I use "java.util.List<Object>" as usual for results of DOM operations. It's much clearer now.

Thanks and regards,
Chris
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Chris,

The list of items returns by the XPath (which we run using the Saxon XSLT engine) are usually DOM nodes but they can also be strings for example if you run XPaths which return simple strings.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Krille

Post by Krille »

Hi Radu,

your hint in the first answer, to use the returned DOM nodes, is very instructive. I now pass the document node and an xpath expression for identifying the current node over to a PluginLoader class, which is called from both sides (the schema manager filter and the author mode operation). In that PluginLoader class, Saxon's XPath implementation is used to evaluate expressions on the passed in document node.

However, that only works with the document node passed in from the author mode action. Evaluating the same expression on the document node passed in from the schema manager filter (Context.executeXPath("/", namespaces, true)), fails with an exception:

Code: Select all

javax.xml.xpath.XPathExpressionException: Supplied node must be built using the same or a compatible Configuration
The document node I get from Context.executeXPath("/", namespaces, true) is of type net.sf.saxon.dom.DocumentOverNodeInfo while the one returned by AuthorAccess.getDocumentController().evaluateXPath(...) is of type ro.sync.ecss.dom.wrappers.AuthorDocumentDomWrapper

I already tried to pass a configuration to Saxon XPathFactoryImpl, but that failed to:

// setup XPath 2.0 from Saxon
XPathFactoryImpl xpathFactoryImpl = new XPathFactoryImpl();
xpathFactoryImpl.setConfiguration((Configuration) document.getDomConfig());
XPath xpath = xpathFactoryImpl.newXPath();
where document is an org.w3c.dom.Document and net.sf.saxon.xpath.XPathFactoryImpl is used.

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "net.sf.saxon.Configuration.setProcessor(net.sf.saxon.Configuration$ApiProvider)" because "config" is null
	at net.sf.saxon.xpath.XPathFactoryImpl.setConfiguration(XPathFactoryImpl.java:61) ~[oxygen-patched-saxon-9.jar:?]
How can Saxon be used to evaluate XPath expressions on DocumentOverNodeInfo? Is there a Configuration object, I can get e.g. from some utility?
I would also be fine, if Saxon's trees where passed to my PluginLoader class instead of DOM nodes.

Kind Regards,
Chris
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hi Chris,

net.sf.saxon.dom.DocumentOverNodeInfo.getDomConfig() returns null by design and is not the configuration you need anyway. Thy using net.sf.saxon.dom.NodeOverNodeInfo.getUnderlyingNodeInfo() and net.sf.saxon.om.NodeInfo.getConfiguration() instead to get teh Saxon configuration object.

Best regards,
Alex
Krille

Post by Krille »

Hi Alex,

Nice! That works. Thanks!

It's time to share the code with the community now:
https://github.com/SCDH/oxbytei

Regards,
Chris
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hi Chris,

We have a blog page that presents various third party frameworks and I can add an entry for oxbytei, if it's O.K. with you.
https://blog.oxygenxml.com/topics/Oxyge ... works.html

Best regards,
Alex
Krille

Post by Krille »

Hi Alex,

yes, that'd be nice!

Happy new year,
Chris