webhelp search results: display breadcrumbs with chunked topics

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
Dan02

webhelp search results: display breadcrumbs with chunked topics

Post by Dan02 »

Hi again,

We have webhelp content that we have chunked at chapter level (chunk="to-content"). However, now that chunking is applied to all the content, we have noticed that the breadcrumbs that had been previously appearing in the search results no longer appear.

I ran a quick test by removing the chunk attribute, running the transform, and searching for those "non-chunked" topics. And in those cases, the breadcrumbs do appear in the output, but for none of the other chunked topics.

Is there any setting or parameter that allows both the topic to be chunked, and the breadcrumbs to continue to appear in the search results?

Many thanks,
Dan
ionela

Re: webhelp search results: display breadcrumbs with chunked topics

Post by ionela »

Hi Dan,

I'm sorry, but currently there isn't a setting or a parameter to achieve this.
By design this is not possible, as in the search results are presented the HTML pages which contain the results not the inner topics.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
jdupont

Re: webhelp search results: display breadcrumbs with chunked topics

Post by jdupont »

Hi Dan, Ionela,

We had the same issue on a project. Here is our analysis and the workaround that we found.

The bread crumbs are built using parent topics infos. When you display a topic then you look for its parent topic and finally gets its title. When the parent is not a topic but a topichead (or a topicref without a href) then it fails.

Our workaround:
In our publication we have a pre process to rewrite the map. We tried to extend this process and when we have topicref without a href then we create a topic on the fly with the topicref@navtitle as a title and I add a @href to the topicref.
This somehow solve the breadcrumb issue but it has impact on the navigation.
If user clicks on the title which used to be a topichead he will land on an empty topic (only a title) instead of landing on the first “real” topic like before.

Hope this can help
Jérôme