xml to PDF transformation process interrupted due to footnotes

Having trouble installing Oxygen PDF Chemistry? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
m_prm

xml to PDF transformation process interrupted due to footnotes

Post by m_prm »

Hello,

my problem is that when I apply the xml to PDF transformation scenario, the process interrupts when it encounters a <note> element inside another <note>. This is understandable if there are two footnotes involved.
But I don't understand why if an element that has as tag <note type="editorial-comment"> (to which float: footnote has been applied) is inside an element <note type="inscription"> (to which no footnote style is applied) it stops the transformation process and gives an error.
Even though they are two <note> elements, they have different styles on the stylesheet. One is a footnote, the other is not.

This is the code:

Code: Select all

<note type="inscription" place="margin left" anchored="false">Ex epistolis Ana cleti papae. Cap. xi<note type="editorial-comment">some comments here</note></note>
These are the CSS rules:

Code: Select all

note[type="inscription"] {
 	display: inline;
 	font-size: smaller;
}

note[type="editorial-comment"] {
	color: black;
	float: footnote;
}
note[type="editorial-comment"]:footnote-call {
	font-weight: bold;
	color:black;
}
note[type="editorial-comment"]:footnote-marker {
	font-weight: bold;
	color:black;
}
Can you help me find a solution?

Thank you.
Michela
julien_lacour

Re: xml to PDF transformation process interrupted due to footnotes

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello Michela,

I already tested using Oxygen PDF Chemistry v24.0 (actual release) and the test did succeed.
Could you please send us an email at support@oxygenxml.com including:
  • the version of Oxygen you are currently using
  • the full CSS customization you are also using
  • a minimal XML with the sample having the issue (something a little bigger than the one you sent us, maybe the problem is not only from these <note> elements)
Regards,
Julien
Stacey

Post by Stacey »

Hi:

Has there been any movement on this issue? I've got something a bit weird where I can output my PDF (23.1 and 24) okay unless I try to show comments when I do it (set parameters - show.changes.and.comments to yes). Then I get error messages -- Transformation failed. C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Editor 23_Sept\Oxygen XML Editor 23\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT3.x\plugins\org.dita.pdf2.fop\build_fop.xml:145: org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "fo:basic-link" is not a valid child of "fo:external-graphic"! (See position 4154:531).
It seemed like it might be a similar issue?
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Stacey,

The thread above was started by someone who generates PDF from DITA content using CSS.
You are using the XSL-FO based approach which works in a totally different way.
About your problem, if you can reduce your DITA content to a minimum and are willing to share a small sample project with us (support@oxygenxml.com) we can try to look further into it.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com