Page breaks within tables

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Carl

Page breaks within tables

Post by Carl »

Ever since switching to OxygenXML (and DITA), I've been wrestling with how the PDF engine decides on page breaks. Here is an example: in the attached screenshot, you'll see that there's plenty of space to include the row on the left side page, yet the rendering engine decided to move it to the next page instead. This leads to rather ugly gaps in my output. This happens frequently in my tables.

Any ideas why it's doing this and how can I gain control? I don't have any "keep after" or whatever attributes in any of my table rows.

Selection_072.png
Selection_072.png (156.25 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
julien_lacour

Re: Page breaks within tables

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello,

This problem can be caused by the Apache FOP pagination algorythm which tries to balance the content between the page (to fill them as much as possible).
Is it possible for you to send us a small sample at support@oxygenxml.com, we will try to reproduce the problem and fix it if it's possible.

Regards,
Julien
chrispitude

Re: Page breaks within tables

Post by chrispitude »

I shared this post with my writers and they were impressed, as they are coming from FrameMaker which looks only at the current page.

I also mentioned that PDF Chemistry/Apache FOP uses a similar algorithm for word wrapping. I once filed a bug for incorrect word wrapping and received the following response:
SyncroSoft support wrote:That's the intended behavior, coming from the default Knuth algorithm that breaks the lines even if there is still space for one more word, to avoid line spikes (significant differences between lines length). The algorithm is implemented by FOP which applies it by default.