dynamic action name

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
fjeneau

dynamic action name

Post by fjeneau »

Is there any way to use editor variables like ${xpath_eval()} for the name of an action defined in a framework or to dynamically generate the action name used for oxy_button? We have a use-case where CSS is defining an oxy_button(...) and the hover text needs to be unique based on attributes of the element it is in. This is for Web Author, but it would be good to know if the functionality exists in the desktop version as well.

The action itself is JS, but the oxy_button is clearly pulling the name from the 'name' field in the framework file instead of getDisplayName. I know there is a way to define the action and the name in the CSS itself using oxy_action. In our case though, the java would be an AuthorOperationWithResult and would still need to continue in JS, so I don't think we can use oxy_action.
cristi_talau

Re: dynamic action name

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

The builtin button does not offer this degree of flexibility. However you can implement a custom form control that behaves like a button, but has a dynamic name. Here is a tutorial [1] and we also have an example which renders MathML equations on GitHub [2].

Best,
Cristian

[1] https://www.oxygenxml.com/maven/com/oxy ... ntrol.html
[2] https://github.com/oxygenxml/web-author-mathml-plugin
jeankaplansky

MathML rendering. Was "dynamic action name"

Post by jeankaplansky »

@cristi - please tell me more about the mathml plugin in Github? Does this enable JEuclid math rendering? Is it possible to use this plugin as the basis of a new plugin to enable MathJax rendering in OWA?
Jean Kaplansky
Kaplan North America
jean.kaplansky at kaplan dot com
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,
You have several options here:
  • Fork our MathML plugin that uses JEuclid and modify it to use MathJAX.
Best,
Cristian
jeankaplansky

Post by jeankaplansky »

Thanks. We are running. The WIRIS MathType plug-in. We are experiencing issues with the plug-in and OWA V24.1.

Math isn’t rendering properly in OWA and double-clicking an expression no longer launches MathType. The MathML is valid.

I’ll check in with WIRIS.

Do I understand correctly that WIRIS MathType formatting should be visible as rendered math in OWA when we are not in an active MathType editor dialog? Or do we still need a rendering plug-in to get MathML 3.0 support to render math in the OWA editing pane? We have authors and reviewers who are expecting fidelity in math display between what they see in the MathType plug-in and what they see in OWA when MathType is closed.

Thanks for clarifying.
Jean Kaplansky
Kaplan North America
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

When I tested the WIRIS add-on with Web Author version 23.1, it handled both rendering of MathML equations and editing with consistence between renderings.

You can try to contact WIRIS regarding this plugin. You can also add our support email address in CC.

Best,
Cristian
jeankaplansky

Post by jeankaplansky »

Thanks, Cristian - I've contacted my SaaS provider (Componize). They manage both our OWA installations and are in direct contact with WIRIS.

Other than the WIRIS outage: Some teams have very high expectations of MathML presentation - they want whatever they see in MathType to render precisely as what they see as "correct" rendering via MathJax in our LMS. I've been down this path before. Achieving fidelity between MathType and MathJax rendering is not entirely possible in my experience. I've had to do some extraordinary things to MathML to get the requested rendering in MathJax, and the resulting MathType rendering does not match. My previous experience is what is driving my question about using a MathML rendering plugin in OWA to achieve MathJax fidelity.

Please tell me how difficult it is to develop a plug-in that uses MathJax for rendering equations directly in the OWA pane that runs alongside the WIRIS MathType plugin. Or is this even possible? You can use T-shirt sizes to tell me how complex the development requirements may be to do something like this.

Thanks!
Jean
Jean Kaplansky
Kaplan North America
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

We have a plugin that renders MathML with JEuclid (https://github.com/oxygenxml/web-author-mathml-plugin) and another one that renders LateX with MathJAX (https://github.com/oxygenxml-incubator/ ... ex-plugin/).

To create a plugin that renders MathML equations using MathJAX you have to start with the Latex plugin and change several things:
  • The CSS that controls on which elements to apply the equation rendering - you can copy this from the MathML plugin
If you also want the MathType editor to use the MathJAX rendering, you should talk to WIRIS about that.

Best,
Cristian