Webhelp Responsive publishing template that includes first topic in main page?

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
steinbacherGE

Webhelp Responsive publishing template that includes first topic in main page?

Post by steinbacherGE »

Hi There,

Is there a way to create a Webhelp Responsive template that shows the first topic on the main page (index.html) like Webhelp Classic?

Thanks,

Leroy
ionela

Re: Webhelp Responsive publishing template that includes first topic in main page?

Post by ionela »

Hi,

Unfortunately, in the current implementation of WebHelp Responsive this is not possible.
However, we already have an improvement logged in our internal tracking system, to offer the possibility to make the WebHelp Responsive output and layout look like the WebHelp Classic.
I have added your feedback and vote to it.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
mdslup

Re: Webhelp Responsive publishing template that includes first topic in main page?

Post by mdslup »

steinbacherGE,

I've been wanting to do this for a while and came up with a workaround.

1. Create a file called "Welcome.dita". Make it the first child topic in the map.
2. Use the webhelp.fragment.welcome to point to an HTML file (this parameter puts this HTML code into the head of the index.html file, but none of the other files). This HTML file points to a javascript file that contains a redirect to "welcome.html".
3. Run the transformation.

This creates the HTML files, with both a "index.html" and "welcome.html" file. Your users end up on index.html - which is the tile/tree layout or whatever, but they never see it because they are instantly redirected to "welcome.html", which you have faked to look like a welcome/landing page.

Let me know if you have any questiosn.
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

I think I have a workable solution for this request here:

Can I completely omit the "Main Page" from WebHelp output?
InspectorSpacetime

Post by InspectorSpacetime »

Of course, it’s also very simple to make a redirect on the server side, if you’re running your own backend.

So whenever there’s a GET request to the index.html page, the user is redirected to the wanted page.