Convert XSD to VB .Net Classes Automatically

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
dbaechtel

Convert XSD to VB .Net Classes Automatically

Post by dbaechtel »

I would like <oxygen/> to convert my XSD directly into VB .Net Classes with the ability to serialize XML data file into and out of classes.
Don Baechtel
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I added your request in our database but it will not be implemented in the short term (the next 6 months). There are related features in the survey available from the right side of the home page (What feature would you need the most in the next version ?) like "Generate code from XML Schema to C#" but not for generating VB.NET code.

Regards,
Sorin
amix

Post by amix »

As a sidenote, it may be interesting to create Python, Ruby and Javascript code as well, these days.

These three are seriously emerging languages in the web-world. Python is being used by Turbogears and Django, Ruby by Rails, Javascript by AJAX.

However, this whole code-generation is a two fold thing. Usually one might say: Hey, this is what XSLT is for. You take any XML file and write an XSLT to transform it into anything you want.

For example, I just took the XML export of SQL Designer and wrote a little XSLT to convert it to Django models. Well, at least it was a first try, it still is far from perfect, since the database-models do not match, really.

Maybe there could be a community effort to share XSLT scenarios ? They could be published either here, in the forum in a special board, or somewhere else.
Andreas
mihai
Site Admin

Post by mihai »

Hello,

I have added in the features survey list the code generation options for VB.NET, Python, Ruby and JavaScript. Now you can vote for your preferred technologies.

Best regards,
Mihai
amix

Post by amix »

Thank you very much.
Andreas
kingargyle

Post by kingargyle »

One thing you may want to here for this type of feature, is allow for a configuration option to specify the XSD Data Binding framework to use. This way, a person could specify either XSD.exe or XSDObjectGen to generate the classes, as well as allowing for the various java binding frameworks to be used as well.