batch transformations in Oxygen-21.1: transformation scenarios dialog is empty

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Ron Van den Branden

batch transformations in Oxygen-21.1: transformation scenarios dialog is empty

Post by Ron Van den Branden »

Hi,

I'm running Oxygen Editor 21.1, build 2019052108, running on Windows 10 Professional (version 1903).

I have a project with associated transformation scenarios, and some project folders defined in the XPR file.

When I try to select some of those project folders and run a batch transformation scenario over them, I get an empty dialog window:

Hence, I can't select any of the predefined transformation scenarios; the only option is to create new ones.

Yet, when opening a file from that folder in Oxygen Editor, I do see all associated transformation scenarios listed:

IIRC, this used to work in previous versions of Oxygen. Has anything changed, or am I misremembering something about the way batch transformations over project folders are supposed to work?

Kind regards,

Ron
Ron Van den Branden

Re: batch transformations in Oxygen-21.1: transformation scenarios dialog is empty

For clarity: I want to (and believe I previously could) run just 1 transformation on selected project folders. Yet, while I can't select any in the empty transformation scenarios dialog, if I just choose "Apply Transformation Scenario(s)" from the context menu, a number of transformations is being executed, though not the ones I would like. So, it follows some selection, although I don't know which: even if I select just the desired scenario in Options > Preferences > Document Type Association, that selection is not honoured in batch transformation mode.
adrian

Re: batch transformations in Oxygen-21.1: transformation scenarios dialog is empty

Post by adrian »

Hi,

It depends a lot on what's inside those project folders. If you have files of mixed types (xml, xsl, css, etc) in a folder, you will get a blank list as there is no single transformation scenario that can be applied on all types of files.
By default the Configure Transformation Scenario(s) dialog only shows scenarios available for the selected type of files. Predefined scenarios are usually document type (framework) related (DITA, TEI, etc), like the ones in your screenshot, so they only appear for opened documents, not for a Project selection (files have not been open so type is yet unknown).

You can adjust the settings in the Configure Transformation Scenario(s) dialog to show you all possible scenarios. Go to the cogwheel button on the right of the top filter box and from the contextual menu pick "Show all scenarios".
Ron Van den Branden wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:17 am For clarity: I want to (and believe I previously could) run just 1 transformation on selected project folders. Yet, while I can't select any in the empty transformation scenarios dialog, if I just choose "Apply Transformation Scenario(s)" from the context menu, a number of transformations is being executed, though not the ones I would like.
When you choose "Apply Transformation Scenario(s)" on a folder each file from that folder that already has a transformation scenario associated, runs that associated scenario (they can be different). When you make another association on a folder, you're also overriding associations for the files from that folder.

Note that associations on logical folders work slightly different than on physical folders. Logical folders have no association identity, so when you associate a scenario on a logical folder, you're actually just associating the scenarios with all the files from that folder, not the folder itself. For physical folders that you make an association for, all the files within (existing and newly created) will have the scenario associated with that folder.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Ron Van den Branden

Hi Adrian,
adrian wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pmIt depends a lot on what's inside those project folders. If you have files of mixed types (xml, xsl, css, etc) in a folder, you will get a blank list as there is no single transformation scenario that can be applied on all types of files.
That's indeed the case.
adrian wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pmYou can adjust the settings in the Configure Transformation Scenario(s) dialog to show you all possible scenarios. Go to the cogwheel button on the right of the top filter box and from the contextual menu pick "Show all scenarios".
Ah, the cog wheel did it, problem solved!

Many thanks for helping me out and your detailed explanation!

Best,

Ron