Support true zoom levels in authoring window

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
chrispitude

Support true zoom levels in authoring window

Post by chrispitude »

It would be very useful for the editor to support true zoom levels.

We have about 35k printed pages of DITA content. All of the images and tables in the content have their dimensions specified in inches. When I zoom in and out using Ctrl + and Ctrl -, the text zooms in and out but not the other content.

Our writers work with a variety of display devices, from undocked laptops with limited resolution displays to multiple 4k monitors at desktop workstations. In addition, they use a variety of WIndows 10 desktop scaling settings (100%, 125%, 150%, etc.) based on their own personal preference.

Another factor is ongoing maintenance of CSS files. We would like to share the same CSS files for both print and authoring, but we cannot do this because the print files use 'pt' units and the authoring files must use 'em' units (or the font size will not change).

Given all this, there is a very real need for true visual scaling in the authoring view.
Radu

Re: Support true zoom levels in authoring window

Post by Radu »

Hi Chris,

I agree with what you said, right now our zoom actions are called "Increase/decrease editor font" and they increase or decrease the default font used for editing. So it does not influence images. Also once in the CSS you set a fixed font to some element the zoom will stop working so you end up using @media properties in the CSS to write different rules for print and screen.
I will add an internal issue with your request. If we manage to implement it I will update this forum thread.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Thanks! Radu!

Yes, specific font sizes are another reason. I originally created a detailed CSS file to faithfully recreate all our FrameMaker fonts and font sizes specified in points (pts), marveling at how easy it was to recreate the FrameMaker look in Oxygen XML Author! Then I discovered that zoom no longer worked. :(

I tried rewriting everything to use relative scale (for example, setting a 15pt title to 1.36363em because that's the ratio of a 15pt title versus the 11pt default font size), but then I realized that tables and images still didn't scale and so I reverted everything back to point sizes.
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

I just wanted to update this thread to note that a few more writers have asked for this feature.

Does the editor use a Webkit client that internally might have canvas-zooming functionality?
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Chris,

Adding here as well the ID of the internal issue:
EXM-43417 Author zoom entire content including images instead of increasing font

Oxygen's Author visual editing mode is not based on WebKit, it's our own code. We can probably make this work by investing some time into this but right it is not a priority for us. If we implement this feature in a future version I will update this forum thread.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Nikonov_94

Post by Nikonov_94 »

Hi Radu,

Glad to know it's something you're taking into account, even if it comes later! I'm entirely satisfied with Oxygen, but the true zoom function is that one thing I find myself lacking every now and then.