Eclipse: Configuration of Hover start-time ?

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
amix

Eclipse: Configuration of Hover start-time ?

Post by amix »

Eclipse is pretty quick to give hovers. In certain situations this is very nice, in others not.

With oXygen I have the problem, that the hovers under the mouse-pointer appear so quick, that it is already striking my nerves. Sometimes one believes, that the hover is the one desired, since the mouse has been pointed close to the desired text, but instead it is the hover from text right next to it. This means reading a lot of uninteresting information.

Setting a time in 'ms' before popup may help.

I checked, whether Eclipse allows for definition of idle time before popup but did not find anything. I also believe, it may be better, to define this on a plugin/local level, rather than global. Do you have any ideas ? Thanks.
Andreas
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Also I did not find an Eclipse setting for a delay before displaying the hover text. That makes implementing such a delay in an Eclipse plugin difficult but we will try to find a method for allowing the delay in the plugin.

Thank you,
Sorin
amix

Post by amix »

I understand. Thank you.
Andreas
amix

Post by amix »

I asked around on IRC, and someone was so kind to look after it, since he remembered having seen something in the code. However, he is not sure, whether this is actually what I was asking him for.

Code: Select all

org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewer.getEmptySelectionChangedEventDelay()
He also offered a link:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cg ... iewer.java

but named it "just a wild guess".

Anyway, I hope I could help.
Andreas
amix

Post by amix »

And he also said:
there is some thing about delay here too
but could be overriden imho

org.eclipse.jface.text.AbstractHoverInformationControlManager.Closer.stop(boolean)
It seems these are things, that do not get used in Eclipse but are in the code.
Andreas
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

amix wrote:

org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewer.getEmptySelectionChangedEventDelay()
This delay refers to selection change, not display the hover text.
amix wrote:

org.eclipse.jface.text.AbstractHoverInformationControlManager.Closer.stop(boolean)
Maybe we could override method presentInformation() of AbstractHoverInformationControlManager and set a delay before presenting the hover text. We will study this possibility.

Thank you,
Sorin
amix

Post by amix »

As I was checking TweakUI, I found an option to change my 'Hover' time as well as my 'X-Mouse' activation delay. Maybe this can even help me with the de-activation of the Eclipse editor-window I was talking at the other post. I set window-auto-activation from 0 to 100ms and can live with that. I will report back in a few days.
Andreas