CMYK or RGB

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
jaimes

CMYK or RGB

Post by jaimes »

I am trying to produce a PDF with embedded images using RGB rather than CMYK as the file size is smaller.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I did find an element called <fo:declarations>

<fo:declarations>
<fo:color-profile src="url('AdobeRGB1998.icc')" color-profile-name="adobeRGB_98"></fo:color-profile>
</fo:declarations>

But the src and color-profile-name are guesses, and most renderers seem to suggest that RGB should be the default color space.

Anybody that knows how this works and can enlighten me?

Thanks a lot!!

Jaimes
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I think you have to convert your images from CMYK to RGB before including them in the XSL-FO document. The FO processor does not do this conversion. For example use this online service for the image conversion.

Regards,
Sorin
jaimes

Post by jaimes »

Thanks sorin, I have tried that, but I think the renderer is producing a CMYK doc as default.

If I include an RGB, or for that matter a grayscale file, the image in the PDF has either a yellow cast (RGB) or comes out entirely black (grayscale)

What I would like to do is either specify what color profile I would like the document itself to use or change the default for the renderer, and then match my graphics to that.

Anyone else had difficulties with images?

I'm using Oxygen 2 and FOP.
jaimes

Post by jaimes »

Ok, I've worked it out.

From apache.org/fop - "FOP native support of JPEG does not include all variants, especially those containing unusual color lookup tables and color profiles."

What this means is that Adobe RGB 98, the de facto standard for most photographers etc is not supported by FOP, you must use sRGB which is the consumer standard, with a lower gamut of colours.

Pity.