Some questions concerning WebHelp Responsive output

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
susannecm

Some questions concerning WebHelp Responsive output

Post by susannecm »

I am trying to customize WebHelp Responsive output from DITA maps using Oxygen 20.1 and the blue tree template as the starting point. My output already looks pretty good, but there are still some problems left.

The output contains some collapsible elements such as sections, examples and tables (anything else?). Normally, if a section is collapsed, its title is displayed. However, in some cases, other content is displayed as well. For example, when text is added directly to the section element instead of using a p element, this text is displayed (see code below). Is this behavior intended? If so, is there an efficient way to check our content for such tagging problems?

Code: Select all

<example id="ae1084895">
<title>Auslesen von Werten in Inhaltssteuerelementen beim Erstellen von
Newslettern</title><p>Zum Erstellen von Newslettern wird eine MS Word-Vorlage verwendet.
Diese Vorlage enthält Inhaltssteuerelemente. Eingaben in Inhaltssteuerelementen können in
einer Word-Datei als sogenannte Custom XML-Inhalte gespeichert werden. </p>Die Custom
XML-Inhalte der Vorlage wurden systemseitig den folgenden Deskriptoren der Dokumentklasse
"Newsletter" zugeordnet:
</example>
Tables are also collapsible elements. However, this doesn't work nicely with our content as our tables rarely have titles. Where can I turn this off so that tables are no longer collapsible?

The behavior of sections and examples seems to depend on whether the section or example has an ID. Only elements with ID are displayed with a link icon. And only these elements are included in the topic TOC. Is this behavior intended and how could I check our content for missing IDs?

Finally I wonder if the navigations options are really sufficient on small screens. The Previous and Next buttons disappear rather quickly. In this case, the user must navigate using the menu button, which can be quite cumbersome. Is there a way to display these buttons even if the screen is small?

Thank you for your help
Susanne
bogdan_cercelaru

Re: Some questions concerning WebHelp Responsive output

Post by bogdan_cercelaru »

Hi Susanne,
susannecm wrote:The output contains some collapsible elements such as sections, examples and tables (anything else?). Normally, if a section is collapsed, its title is displayed. However, in some cases, other content is displayed as well. For example, when text is added directly to the section element instead of using a p element, this text is displayed (see code below). Is this behavior intended? If so, is there an efficient way to check our content for such tagging problems?
Yes, this is a normal behavior as long as the text is not wrapped in an element from a DITA topic. To check if there are text in those elements, without being wrapped in a <p/> element, you could use s Schematron. You can use the following webinar as a starting point: Improving the quality of your DITA documentation
susannecm wrote: Tables are also collapsible elements. However, this doesn't work nicely with our content as our tables rarely have titles. Where can I turn this off so that tables are no longer collapsible?
As a workaround, you could use a custom CSS file to hide the expand/collapse button for tables. Here is the CSS that could be used to hide it:

Code: Select all

table .wh_expand_btn {
display: none;
}[code]To set a custom CSS file you have to set the "[i]args.css[/i]" parameter to point to your custom CSS file and the "[i]args.copycss[/i]" parameter to "[i]yes[/i]".
[quote="susannecm"]
The behavior of sections and examples seems to depend on whether the section or example has an ID. Only elements with ID are displayed with a link icon. And only these elements are included in the topic TOC. Is this behavior intended and how could I check our content for missing IDs?
[/quote]Yes, as you already noted, only elements that have an ID are displayed in the topic TOC and displayed with a link icon. To check for missing IDs you could also use a Schematron.
[quote="susannecm"]
Finally I wonder if the navigations options are really sufficient on small screens. The Previous and Next buttons disappear rather quickly. In this case, the user must navigate using the menu button, which can be quite cumbersome. Is there a way to display these buttons even if the screen is small?
Susanne[/quote]Thank you for your feedback regarding this. We already have an improvement request regarding this behavior and I've added your vote for it.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Cercelaru
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com