session.save_path (fatal) WebHelp installation

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
rdelong

session.save_path (fatal) WebHelp installation

Post by rdelong »

I am installing the webhelp responsive with feedback on our server and on the initial page I received the following error:

Code: Select all

Session Save Path writable   -  Failed Fatal: session.save_path is not set
Earlier attempts at this installation didn't show this error. Can someone explain why this is important. When I click Start Installation, the script proceeds to the next page, so I don't know what's so "fatal" about this message. What's going to happen if I ignore this warning?
bogdan_cercelaru

Re: session.save_path (fatal) WebHelp installation

Post by bogdan_cercelaru »

Hello,

Session variables store user information to be used across multiple pages (e.g. username, options, etc) so that the computer knows who you are. It knows when you start the application and when you end.
If the application is not able to store the sessions on your web server, you may get unexpected behavior when use the feedback system. For example, the feedback system will not be able to keep state between different pages or when you close the browser. For example, it will not know if the user was logged or not, even if the "Remember me on this computer" option was checked.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Cercelaru
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com