PDF output does not show -> separator for menu cascade element

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
Amit123

PDF output does not show -> separator for menu cascade element

Post by Amit123 »

Hi,

I am using Oxygen 19.x

The Arrow -> separator used for menu cascade (uicontrol) element is appearing as # symbol in PDF output.

Please help.

Thanks,
Amit
Costin

Re: PDF output does not show -> separator for menu cascade element

Post by Costin »

Hi Amit,

What specific version of oXygen v19 are you using (v19.0/v19.1)?
What transformation scenario are you running? Is it the DITA Map PDF, or the DITA Map PDF WYSIWYG?
Also, on what machine (which operating system)?

I have just tested the behavior in oXygen XML Editor v19.1 (available for download in the software archive) by publishing a DITA Map that contains a topic with <menucascade> element and the separators appear just fine in both the PDF and PDF WYSIWYG generated outputs.
However, there seems to be a fonts related issue at your side.

In case you are using the DITA Map PDF WYSIWYG scenario, are you using a custom CSS to style the output? I am asking this because you could have set a specific font through the custom CSS, that is not correctly rendered in the resulted PDF.
If you do use a custom CSS, you should first try applying the predefined DITA Map PDF WYSIWYG scenario, without any customization and see if this solves the issue.
If this still does not work, you should try setting a different font, using a custom CSS. More details available in the User-Guide.

The same for the DITA Map PDF scenario. As long as you did not tinker with the XSL stylesheets from the PDF plugin of the DITA framework, the out-of-the-box DITA PDF (or DITA Map PDF) transformation scenarios should correctly render the separators in the output. If you using the predefined DITA Map PDF scenario (not a customized one) but are not sure anymore if you modified any default XSL files, you should try deploying a clean installation of oXygen XML v19.1 in a separate folder and try running the DITA Map PDF transformation scenario from the clean oXygen.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
Amit123

Post by Amit123 »

Hi Costin,

Thanks much for quick response.

I am using Oxygen v19.1 on Windows 7

I tried rederning PDF using DITA Map PDF locally. The out should '>'; DITA MAP WISYWID did not work though.

However, while rendering PDF via Jenkins, the issue prevails.

I have not tinkered with XSL as I am using the pre-defined dita_ot

Thanks,
Amit
ionela

Post by ionela »

Hi Amit,

This seems to be a font related issue on the machine where the PDF output is generated.
When using DITA Map PDF transformation you need to have installed on your machine a font that is capable to render these characters as the font is configured and embedded in the PDF result.

I have checked on my machine (Windows 10) and to render the '>' character in the PDF output TimesNewRomanPS font seems to be used (more exactly TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT).
Make sure you have installed on the machine where the output is generated a font that is capable to render this character (the one specified above or a corresponding one). More details about how to set a font in the DITA Map PDF transformation can be found in our user manual:
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... e-FOP.html

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support