Oxygen 16.1 on Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.4

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
matthijsbreebaart

Oxygen 16.1 on Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.4

Post by matthijsbreebaart »

Yesterday, my Oxygen 16.1 installation on a MBP with 10.13.4 became unworkably slow (even with 7kb files). Rebooting etc. didn't seem to help, so I decided to reinstall.

This only made things worse, because now I can't start the Oxygen XML Editor.app from the finder anymore. It just doesn't start (system.log: "Apr 24 12:19:10 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (ro.sync.exml.Oxygen.22368[581]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1"). I can start oxygenMac.sh from the command line, but that's obviously not ideal (for example, all file associations are killed).

I was wondering if someone has experienced similar behaviour, and if someone knows how to get back on track. Any help would be appreciated.

Matthijs
adrian

Re: Oxygen 16.1 on Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.4

Post by adrian »

Hi,

First, please note that v17 and older are do not officially support macOS 10.13, High Sierra (not even 10.12, Sierra).

The classic archive distributions of oXygen (.zip and .tar.gz) that are available for v17 and older fail to run on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and later after being downloaded. This happens because the archives get quarantined (flagged with com.apple.quarantine). macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and 10.13 (High Sierra) treat quarantined apps differently than older versions of OS X and isolate them from their parent folder, when they are launched.
If oXygen was already installed when upgrading to macOS 10.12 or later, it will keep working, since oXygen was never quarantined.

To resolve the start issue on 10.12/10.13, the quarantine flag must be removed for the entire contents of the oXygen folder or for the individual apps.
Open a Terminal window, change directory to the parent folder where oXygen is located e.g. cd /Users/user/Downloads
and run the command:

Code: Select all

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine oxygen/
where "oxygen" is the name of the oXygen folder.

If oXygen is placed in a location that requires admin privileges for write access (like /Applications), you have to run the command from an admin account and prefix the command with 'sudo'. You will be prompted to enter your password.
e.g.

Code: Select all

sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/oxygen/"
Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
matthijsbreebaart

Re: Oxygen 16.1 on Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.4

Post by matthijsbreebaart »

Thank you Adrian, removing the quarantine flag did the trick.

Hopefully, the slowdown doesn't return, but at least it's working again.

I'll see if I can get our company to upgrade to a newer version, won't be easy :(