Progress indicator for "Validate and check for completeness"

Are you missing a feature? Request it's implementation here.
cbrzeski

Progress indicator for "Validate and check for completeness"

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:23 am

We use the "Validate and check for completeness" option a lot on our maps and bookmaps, and it works great. However, it gives no indication of how far along it is, and because we have large maps, this means I have no idea when I can go home. :)
A simple indicator of how many topics have been checked/how many topics in the map would be really helpful. Thanks, Corinne
Radu

Re: Progress indicator for "Validate and check for completeness"

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 am

Hi Corinne,

The problem is that the processing itself has no idea how much time this will take. The process analyses each DITA resource starting from the main DITA Map, once it finds in a topic/map references to other DITA resources, it starts looking into those as well, so while the process continues, it may find more and more file references that it needs to look into.
So there is no telling how many resources will be finally processed.
By the way, about how many DITA topics do you have in the project and about how much time does it take to validate and check them all? Are the topic DTD-based or XML Schema based?
Do you have an SSD installed as a hard drive? A fast hard drive would help a lot.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
cbrzeski

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, Radu.

I'm not asking for a time estimate. Just a progress report. It shows me the ID of each topic it is checking as it goes through it, so it could tell me how many have been checked. I know how many are in the map (although that would be relatively easy for you to show as well, it seems).

The map I was working with yesterday has about 1900 topics in it. It took about 2.5 hours. Which reminds me of another suggestion: It would be really great if this ran in the background, because it keeps me from using Oxygen for anything else while it's running.

They are DITA files.

I (and our authors) get the hard drives we are given, so we won't be able to do much about that.

Do you think there's any possibility of some inefficiency in the API calls to Astoria in large maps such as this?

Thanks
Corinne
Radu

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Corinne,

I understand. I will add an issue on our internal issues list and see what we can do about this.
I forgot you were using Astoria. The problem is that for each topic Oxygen needs to request its content from Astoria and this may take a while depending on the network connection speed and so on. So a faster hard drive will not help.
Does Astoria have a file export facility? For example export the entire project on the local drive and then run the validation on the local folder? This may take way less time because downloading a huge ZIP file from Astoria is faster than Oxygen requesting each file to be downloaded individually upon validation...

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
cbrzeski

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 am

Thanks, Radu. I have used the export/check local method in the past, but the issue with these big publications is that the export itself takes a long time. Also, then I'm not working in the actual content, so I lose the convenience of being able to double-click an error in the completeness results and open the correct topic to edit.
cbrzeski

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 pm

Radu, I had another thought. The column headers for the completeness check results have item counts in some cases (for example, the Description column). They increment as the items are found. Perhaps you could increment a counter on the Resource column (ignoring duplicates) as each one is checked? That would provide a count that would be visible as the check runs, in the current UI, and not require a separate window. Just a thought.
Radu

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Corinne,

Thanks for the tip, we'll consider this as well.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Radu

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Corinne,

We released Oxygen 19.1 a couple of days ago and its Validate and check for completeness should report how many DITA resources it has processed so far.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor

Return to “Feature Request”