LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
TVNshack

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file

Post by TVNshack »

Hello,

[code]LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/oxygen 18.0/Oxygen XML Editor.app[/code]

Googling on this issue, I found no help ... but oXygen Tech Support. I'm filling this Post to leave some evidence of the issue ... and a verified solution.

What happened is that I've downloaded the oxygen.tar.gz Tarball on my Maverick Macintosh. As I want to keep older versions of oXygen handy, during the download of the tarball, I've created /Applications/oxygen\ 18.0/ ready to receive the new package.

That .tar.gz puzzled me as usually, the Mac distribution was packaged in a .zip archive.

So, once I've retrieved the tarball, I've expanded it and ... simply dragged all the files to the /Applications/oxygen\ 18.0/ I had previously created.

The problem is that there is a hidden directory containing the Java 8 runtime). Starting any app by clinking on their icon failed.

Launching from the bash command-line : open /Applications/oxygen 18.0/Oxygen XML Editor.app yielded this error message.

With the help of oXygen Tech Support who promptly pinpointed the issue, I move the hidden folder with the other files.

mv ~/Desktop/oxygen/.install4j /Applications/oxygen\ 18.0/

Et Voilà !

So ... in the end : don't move the files from the install folder using the Finder. It simply won't work. If you have to: use bash commands from Terminal or an X11 xterm.
adrian

Re: LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Just to simplify things, if after unpacking and moving Oxygen for OS X to /Applications, it won't start, retrace your steps.
Make sure you have moved the unpacked oxygen folder itself. You can rename the folder (before or after moving it, it doesn't matter), if you like, just don't move the files from within the unpacked folder. If you already did this, start from scratch with a freshly downloaded copy of Oxygen.

If you try move the files from within the unpacked folder, you will inadvertently leave behind the invisible .install4j folder holding the .app launchers data (libraries and icons) and the bundled Java 8 runtime. As a result the .app launchers will no longer work.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com