Using an attribute value as part of an XPath query

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
rxjones

Using an attribute value as part of an XPath query

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:39 pm

I'm working with an XML file describing a database's metadata (i.e., just the tables and other structural elements and their relationships, not any data itself). It was generated by a commercial application and I do not have access to the DTD.

Is there a way given the following XML tree to get the Ref value "o16" and use it to find the o:Column element with an Id of the same value? I can do it when I specifically enter a static value in the XPath (ex. //o:Column[attribute::Id="o16"]), but need to be able to loop through any existing references using xsl:for-each (ex. //o:Column[attribute::Ref="X"] where X is the current value of Ref in the xsl:for-each). Ultimately I want to get //o:Column[attribute::Ref="X"]/a:Name

Code: Select all

<model>
   <o:RootObject>
      <c:Tables>
         <o:Table>
            <a:Name>
            <c:Columns>
               <o:Column Id="o16">
            <c:Indexes>
               <o:Index>
                  <c:IndexColumns>
                     <o:IndexColumn>
                        <c:Column>
                           <o:Column Ref="o16">

Thanks for the help

Roland
sorin_ristache

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:11 pm

Hello,

A solution is to use a key to map the Ref attribute to the o:Column element with an Id attribute of the same value. The following example just output the string value of the a:Name element. Of course you have to replace o-namespace, c-namespace and a-namespace with your values.

Code: Select all

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0" xmlns:o="o-namespace" xmlns:c="c-namespace" xmlns:a="a-namespace">
    <xsl:key name="columnId" match="o:Column" use="@Id"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:for-each select="//o:Column[@Ref]">
           <!-- Here access the a:Name child of the o:Column element with the Id = @Ref. -->
           <!--  For that use: key('columnId', @Ref)/a:Name  -->
            <xsl:value-of select="key('columnId', @Ref)/a:Name"/>
        </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Regards,
Sorin

Return to “XSLT and FOP”